Main Article Content
At present, Thailand has entered the aging society. This quasi-experimental research using a two-group pretest-posttest design aimed to examine the effects of a social relationship program on the depression of the elderly. The subjects of this research were 60 elderly aged 60 and over. The subjects were randomly assigned to an experimental group (n = 30) and control group (n = 30). The experimental group participated in a social relationship program with eight sessions, 120 minutes per session for eight weeks, while the control group received regular care activities. The results were collected by the Thai Geriatric Depression Scale. Data were analyzed using descriptive statistics, dependent t-test, and independent t-test. The results of this study were 1) After participating in the social relationship program, the mean scores for the depression of the experimental group ( = 12.10, SD = 2.96) were significantly lower than the pretest scores ( = 20.23, SD = 7.19, t = 16.39, p < .001) 2) The mean difference scores for the depression of the experimental group between pre-test and post-test participating in a social relationship program (D1 = 8.13, SD = 2.07) were significantly higher than those of the control group (D2 = 0.20, SD = 1.04, t = 15.045, p < .001). Therefore, a social group program is effective in reducing depression of elderly.
2. Tongdee J, Rongmuang D, Nakchatree C. Health Status and Quality of Life among the Elderly in the Southern Border Provinces of Thailand. Nurs J Ministry Public Health 2012;22(3):88-99.
3. Choorat W, Sawangdee Y, Arunraksombat S. Factors influencing the risk of having mental health problems of the elderly. Thai Population J, 2012; 3(2):87-109.
4. Nunsubpawat V, Siriwattanametanon J, Honboonherm P. Mental health of the elderly. J Nurs assoc Thail North-Eastern Div 2009;27(1):27-32.
5. Wongpanarak N, Chaleoykitti S. Depression:A Significant Mental Health Problem of Elderly. J Royal Thai Army Nur 2014; 15(3):24-31.
6. Luo Y, Hawkley LC, Waite LJ, Cacioppo JT. Loneliness, health, and mortality in old age: a national longitudinal study. Soc Sci Med 2012;74(6):907-14.
7. Van Baarsen B. Theories on coping with loss: the impact of social support and self-esteem on adjustment to emotional and social loneliness following a partner's death in later life. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci 2002;57(1):S33-42.
8. Cacioppo JT, Hughes ME, Waite LJ, Hawkley LC, Thisted RA. Loneliness as a specific risk factor for depressive symptoms:cross-sectional and longitudinal analyses. Psychol Aging 2006;21(1):140-51.
9. Ayalon L, Shiovitz-Ezra S. The relationship between loneliness and passive death wishes in the second half of life. Int Psychogeriatr 2011;23(10):1677-85.
10 . Ubonwannee P, Keawkingkeo S, Bunthumporn N. The Effects of a Psycho-Education Program on the Depressive Symptoms Among Older Adults. Buddhachinaraj Med J 2017;34 (3):342-9.
11. Sasithorn N, Lueboonthavatchai P. Depression and associated psychosocial factors of the elderly at the elderly associate of Public Health Center 48 Nakwatchara-utid. Chula Med J 2015;59(6):717-30.
12. Heaney C, Israel B. Social networks and social support. In: Glanz K, Rimer BK, Lewis FM, Editors. Health behavior and health education: Theory, research and practice. 3rd ed. Jossey-Bass; San Francisco CA:2002:185-202.
13. Choi NG, Wodarski JS. The relationship between social support and health status of elderly people: Does social support slow down physical and functional deterioration. Soc Work Res1996;20(1):52-63.
14. Petburi P, Somprasert C, Othaganont P. The effect of a Social Support Program on the Mental Health of the Elderly. J Nurs Health Care 2017;35(2):188-97.
15. Thanakwang, K., Ingersoll - Dayton B, Soonthorndhada, K. The relationships among family, friends, and psychological well-being for Thai elderly. Aging Ment Health 2012;16(8):993-1003.
16. Malathum P, Kongiem J, Intarasombat P. Relationships of family support and friend support to life satisfaction of older adults in rural areas. Rama Nurs J 2009;15(3):431-48.
17. Malekafzali H, Eftekhari MB, Hejazi F, Khojasteh T, Noot R. The effectiveness of educational intervention in the health promotion in elderly people. Iran J Public Health 2010;39(2):18-23.
18. Kodchana C, Virasiri S. The effecct of social support group on grandmothers, childrearing abilities and stress during raising preschool grandchildren in Phu Kradueng District Loei Province. Thai J Health Promot Environ Health 2010;33(2):42-52.
19. Chaihan R, Nanthamongkolchai S, Thechaboonsermsak P, Munsawaengsub C. Effect of social participatory training program on self-esteem of the elderly in La-un district Ranong province. J of Public Health 2010;40(1):76-85.