Main Article Content
Loneliness is a sense caused from change of interpersonal relationship. It can affect health status of older persons both in physical and psychosocial aspects. Factors related to loneliness included sex, age, status, living alone,physical changes, decrease social role, and low self-esteem. Treatments include both reducing factors and causes of loneliness in older persons with holistic nursing.This article presents the types of loneliness. Causes of loneliness in the elderly factors related to loneliness of older persons, the impact of loneliness on the health of older persons, assessment of loneliness in older persons, guidelines for loneliness management in older persons and nurses' roles in caring for loneliness in older persons. In order to be a guideline for caring loneliness in older persons for well-beingand happiness
2. Choorat W, Sawangdee Y, Arunraksombat S. Factors influencing the risk of having mental health problems of the elderly. Thai Popul J 2012;3(2):87-109.
3. Aartsen M, Jylha M. Onset of loneliness in older adults: Results of a 28 year prospective study. Eur J Ageing 2011;8(1):31-8.
4. Peplau A, Perlman D. Loneliness: A sourcebook of current theory research and therapy. New York: Wiley Interscience;1982.
5. Weiss RS. The provision of social relationships. In: Rubin Z, Editor.Doing unto others. Edgewood Cliffs: Prentice-Hall;1974.
6. Francis GM. Loneliness: A study of hospitalized adults (Doctoral dissertation). University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia;1981.
7. Gierveld JJ, Tilburg TV, Dykstra PA. Loneliness and social isolation. In: Vangelisti A, Perlman D, editor.The Cambridge handbook of personal relationships. New York, NY: Cambridge University Press;2006.
8. Phimphanchaiyaboon L. Factors influencing Loneliness of the elderly in social welfare development center for older persons (Thesis). Burapha University, Gerontological Nursing;2015.
9. Holt-Lunstad J, Smith TB, Layton JB. Social relationships and mortality risk: A meta-analytic review. PLoS Med 2010;7(7):e1000316.
10. Theyanarong S.Factors influencing loneliness among the elderly with chronic illness at out patient department of a hospital(Thesis). Burapha University, Gerontological Nursing;2015.
11. Steptoe A,Shankar A, Demakakos P, Wardle J. Social isolation, loneliness, and allcause mortality in older men and women. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America (2013);110(15):5797-801.
12. Theeke LA. Predictors of loneliness in U.S. adults over age sixty-five. Arch Psychiatr Nurs 2009;23(5):387-96.
13. Smith JM. Toward a better understanding of loneliness in community-dwelling older adults. Psychol 2012;146(3):293-311.
14. Newall NEG, Chipperfield JG, Bailis DS. Predicting stability and change in loneliness in later life. JSPR 2013;31(3):335-51.
15. Hacihasanoglu R, Yildirim A, Karakurt P. Loneliness in elderly individuals, level of dependence in activities of daily living (ADL) and influential factors. Arch Gerontol Geriat 2012;54(1):61-6.
16. Russell D. UCLA loneliness scale (version 3): Reliability, validity, & factor structure. JPers Assess 1996;66(2):20-40.
17. LaorinthongA, Kespichayawattana J. The effect of Nursing Intervention Integrated Therapeutic Recreation Program on Loneliness among community dwelling older persons. Rama Nurs J 2015; 12(2):214-28.
18. Wonggirawattanagul S. The development of a clinical nursing practice guideline for the reducing loneliness among elderly in the community. Bangkok Faculty of Mental Health and Psychiatric Nursing, Mahidol University; 2015.
19. Stevens NL, Martina CM, Westerhof GJ. Meeting the need to belong predicting effects of a friendship enrichment program for older women. Gerontologist 2006;46(4):495-502.
20. Sansamak R, Sasat S. The effect of Public Mind Social Support Program on loneliness in older persons resided in public welfare home for the aged. Royal Thai Army Nurs 2017;18(Suppl):251-60.
21. Carpenito-Moyet LJ. Nursing diagnosis:Application to clinical practice (14th ed.). Philadelphia, PA:Lippincott Williams and Wilkins; 2013.