Main Article Content
- RFID technology has many applications nowadays. One of them is the application of RFID technology in the library. The use of RFID technology for libraries does not only help automate borrowing and returning library resources, but also help prevent book stealing at the exit gate and improve the library resource management to be more convenient and faster. Even though the main library at Kasetsart University has been employing RFID technology for its library resources circulation and resources theft detection, tasks related to shelf management remains un-automated. Through librarian interview and personal observation, it was found that, in order to perform an inventory check of its resources on shelves, librarians need to take those resources from the book shelves to a cart, bring them to a nearby station where the resources are read by an RFID reader. After that, the resources are put back onto shelves where they originally belong in the same order on the shelves. Moreover, searching resources on shelves must be done manually by locating resources by their call number and title, thus making it time-consuming. Lastly, ordering resources on shelves still was not taking advantage of RFID technology. Books must be ordered by manually sorting the call numbers. All of these problems lead to the inefficiency in shelf management, and, ultimately, unsatisfied customers. As a result, this research addressed these issues by designing, developing, and implementing a wireless mobile application that took advantages of RFID technology, and that was operated on Windows Mobile 2003 and newer devices. The application was developed using Microsoft Visual Studio C++ 2005 and Microsoft Windows Mobile Software Development Kit 5.0. The RFID reader used during the development of this application operates at 13.56 MHz frequency, was handheld type, and communicated with the application via Bluetooth interface. The application is divided into 4 parts based on its functionality. This includes book shelf inventory checking function, item search function, shelf ordering function, and system configuration setting function. After testing the program by comparing with requirements gathered from the librarians, the application was tested by researcher and later evaluated by the librarians for its functionality, reliability, and user interface design. Evaluation results show that librarians were generally satisfied with the application because of its ease of use, speed, and, most importantly, problem solver. This application could help librarians save time by up to 94% and costs by up to 80% compared to their current method of manual operations. However, the program could still be enhanced, for example, by improving its looks such as font size, using different themes, and directly connecting with the library database to provide better information, such as correct book location in shelf ordering function.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
I/we certify that I/we have participated sufficiently in the intellectual content, conception and design of this work or the analysis and interpretation of the data (when applicable), as well as the writing of the manuscript, to take public responsibility for it and have agreed to have my/our name listed as a contributor. I/we believe the manuscript represents valid work. Neither this manuscript nor one with substantially similar content under my/our authorship has been published or is being considered for publication elsewhere, except as described in the covering letter. I/we certify that all the data collected during the study is presented in this manuscript and no data from the study has been or will be published separately. I/we attest that, if requested by the editors, I/we will provide the data/information or will cooperate fully in obtaining and providing the data/information on which the manuscript is based, for examination by the editors or their assignees. Financial interests, direct or indirect, that exist or may be perceived to exist for individual contributors in connection with the content of this paper have been disclosed in the cover letter. Sources of outside support of the project are named in the cover letter.
I/We hereby transfer(s), assign(s), or otherwise convey(s) all copyright ownership, including any and all rights incidental thereto, exclusively to the Journal, in the event that such work is published by the Journal. The Journal shall own the work, including 1) copyright; 2) the right to grant permission to republish the article in whole or in part, with or without fee; 3) the right to produce preprints or reprints and translate into languages other than English for sale or free distribution; and 4) the right to republish the work in a collection of articles in any other mechanical or electronic format.
We give the rights to the corresponding author to make necessary changes as per the request of the journal, do the rest of the correspondence on our behalf and he/she will act as the guarantor for the manuscript on our behalf.
All persons who have made substantial contributions to the work reported in the manuscript, but who are not contributors, are named in the Acknowledgment and have given me/us their written permission to be named. If I/we do not include an Acknowledgment that means I/we have not received substantial contributions from non-contributors and no contributor has been omitted.
2. วัชรากร หนูทอง, อนุกูล น้อยไม้ และปรินันท์ วรรณสว่าง, RFID เทคโนโลยีสารพัดประโยชน์, Cover Story. สาร NECTEC. กันยายน – ตุลาคม 2547
3. ผกาทิพย์ ชูชาติ, การใช้เทคโนโลยี RFID TAG กับการให้บริการยืม – คืนหนังสือด้วยตนเอง (self-check - out) กรณีสานักหอสมด มหาวิทยาลัยทักษิณ. วารสารห้องสมุด สานักหอสมุด มหาวิทยาลัยทักษิณ, สิงหาคม, 2550
4. ขวัญชนก วิริยกุลโอภาศ, RFID (Radio Frequency Identification). รายงานการศึกษาเทคโนโลยีสาหรับบรรณารักษศาสตร์และสารนิเทศศาสตร์, ภาควิชาบรรณารักษศาสตร์ คณะอักษรศาสตร์ จุฬาลงกรณ์มหาวิทยาลัย, 2549
5. ชาญณรงค์ เผือกพูลผล, สถิติ. สานักหอสมุด มหาวิทยาลัยเกษตรศาสตร์ บางเขน, ธันวาคม, 2551, แหล่งที่มา http://www.lib.ku.ac.th, 20 กรกฏาคม 2553
6. Radio-frequency identification, แหล่งที่มา http://en.wiki pedia.org/wiki/Radio-frequency_identification, 30 พฤษภาคม 2555]
7. ISO/IEC 15693, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO/ IEC_15693
8. ปิยะ โควินท์ทวีวัฒน์, ระบบบ่งชี้ด้วยคลื่นความถี่วิทยุ. ศูนย์เทคโนโลยีอิเลิกทรอนิกส์และคอมพิวเตอร์แห่งชาติ: ประเทศไทย, แหล่งที่มา: http://home.npru.ac.th, 1 ตุลาคม 2553]
9. “What are RFID Tags?”, http://www.rfidtags.com/
10. “RFID Reader”, http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/Tech nology- Article.asp?ArtNum=54
11. วิชญ์ศุทธ์ เมาระพงษ์, Radio Frequency Identification: RFID. วารสาร TPA News, สมาคมส่งเสริมเทคโนโลยี (ไทย-ญี่ปุ่น), เมษายน 2553.
12. มนต์ชัย โศภิษฐกมล, RFID เทคโนโลยีเปลี่ยนโลก, Top Universities: Thailand’s Only Complete University Guide, เมษายน 2555.