Main Article Content
The current study relates health risks with birth month, birth season and length of sunshine during pregnancy. In Thai astrology, illnesses are predicted from the position of the Sun and the planets of the solar system by zodiac signs at birth date. This research studied the number of patients suffering from the diseases that are associated with their respective zodiac signs. The Sun position and the planets’ position at each patient’s birth date were calculated using the Suryayarttra and Manut scripture, and classified the patient records by the ICD-10 group of diseases and the Sun position and the planets’ position by zodiac signs. The data of 5,224 patients, 1,797 men and 3,427 women, with 65,535 patient records from a district hospital showed that the ratio of patients of some zodiac signs were higher than the average ratio in 14 groups of diseases by using Chi-square goodness of fit test (11 degrees of freedom, p < 0.05). The group of E00-E90 Endocrine, nutritional and metabolic diseases (Diabetes Mellitus) and the group of I00-I99 diseases of the circulatory system (Hypertension) indicated different ratios by zodiac signs from 8 and 7 members of the solar system, respectively. The Moon and Neptune did not show different ratios for any group of diseases. Uranus showed different ratios by 9 groups of diseases from a total of 14 groups of diseases.
2. Hessong A. Sciencing: Home, Nature, How Does the Sun Affect the Food Web? [Internet]. Leaf Group; n.d. [Cited 2018 Jan 1]:[2 screens]. Available from: https://sciencing.com/sun-affect-food-5507006.html
3. Hafner H, Haas S, Pfeifer-Kurda M, Eichhorn S, Michitsuji S. Abnormal seasonality of schizophrenic births. A specific finding?. Eur Arch Psychiatry Neurol Sci 1987; 236: 333–42.
4. Foster RG, Roenneberg T. Human responses to the geophysical daily, annual and lunar cycles. Curr Biol. 2008 Sep 9;18(17):R784-94. doi: 10.1016/j.cub.2008.07.003.
5. Davies Q, Welham J, Chant D, Torrey EF, McQrath J. A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of Northern Hemisphere Season of Birth Studies in Schizophrenia. Schizophr Bull. 2003;29(3):587-93.
6. Boland MR, Parhi P, Li L, Miotto R, Carroll R, Iqbal U, Nguyen PA, Schuemie M, You SC, Smith D, Mooney S, Ryan P, Li YJ, Park RW, Denny J, Dudley JT, Hripcsak G, Gentine P, Tatonetti NP. Uncovering exposures responsible for birth season – disease effects: a global study. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, ocx105 2017;25(3):275-88. doi: 10.1093/jamia/ocx105
7. Bolan MR, Shahn Z, Madigan D, Hripcsak G, Tatonetti NP. Birth Month Affects Lifetime Disease Risk A Phenome-Wide Method. Journal of American Medical Informatics Association. 2015;22(5);1042-53. doi:10.1093/jamia/ocv046
8. Thagard PR. Why astrology is a pseudoscience. PSA: Proceedings of the Biennial Meeting of the Philosophy of Science Association. 1978;1978(no. 1):223-34. doi: 10.1086/psaprocbienmeetp.1978.1.192639
9. Aangkaew T. 100 years Astrological Calendar (B.E. 2464 - 2563). Bangkok: Augsorn Thai, n.d.; (in Thai)
10. Payakorn.com. Natal Chart Ascendant Stars’ position (by the principle of SuryaYatra Scipture) [Internet]. [cited 2018 Jan 1]:[1 screen]. Available from: https://payakorn.com/lukana.php
11. Suriyaarruksa S. High level Thai astrology forecast only female and 108 diseases. Bangkok: Duangdee printing; n.d. (in Thai).
12. Hysen S. Astrology in medicine, Medical Astrology [Internet]. 1984 [cited 2018 Jan 1]:[7 screens]. Available from: https://www.traditionalmedicine.net.au/medastro.htm
13. Buakanthong C. Namo-Hora Episode 1 Book 1 Basic Astrology for Beginner. Bangkok: Augsornthai Printing; 1989. 63p. (in Thai).
14. Techakasem V. Astrology Website. Standard Stars’ Position [Internet]. [cited 2018 Jan 1]: [3 screens]. Available from: https://www.horawej.com/index.php?lay=show&ac=article&Id=3826 & Ntype=3
15. Bovey A. The Middle Ages. Medicine, diagnosis and treatment in the Middle Ages [Internet]. 2015 [cited 2018 Jan 1]; [9 screens]. British Library. Available from: https://www.bl.uk/the-middle-ages/articles/medicine diagnosis-and-treatment-in-the-middle-ages
16. Benjamin D. Healthy Wild and Free. 17 quotes from Hippocrates to Wisen your health mind [Internet]. 2016 Sep [cited 2018 Jan 1]: [1 Screen]. Available from: https://healthywildandfree.com/17-quotes-hippocrates-wisen-health-mind/
17. Patipimpakom T. Meaning of Diseases for the stars [Internet]. 2015 Sept [cited 2018 Jan 1]: [1 Screen]. Available from: https://sites.google.com/site/exguitarhora/home/our-staff/exguitarhora/in-the-news/khwamhmaykhxngrokhcakdwngdaw
18. Subcharoen P. Compile theory of Thai traditional medicine book 1 SamudhanaVinijjaya scripture. Bangkok: The War Veterans Organization of Thailand Printing; 1994. 92 p. (in Thai).
19. Tungkanasingha P. The explanation of leap month and bissextile. Bangkokthonburi Metropolitan: Sirasrom printing; 1972. 84p. (in Thai).
20. Aangkaew T. SuryaYatra Scipture : Comprehensive. Phra Nakhon; Mahamakut-Rajavidhayalai Press, 1950. 124 p. (in Thai).
21. Bureau of Policy and Strategy, Ministry of Public Health of Thailand. International classification of diseases and related health problems, 10th Revision, Thai modification English-Thai Version 2016 Volume 1 Tabular List of diseases. Bangkok: Sri Mueang Printing; 2016. 803 p. (Thai-English).
22. McHugh ML. The Chi-square test of independence. Biochemia Medica. 2013;23(2):143–9. doi: 10.11613/BM.2013.018.
23. MedCalc Software. MedCalc. easy-to-use statistical software. Values of the Chi-squared distribution [Internet]. 2018 [Cited 2018 Jan 1]: [1 Screen]. Available from: https://www.medcalc.org/manual/chi-square-table.php