Main Article Content
The Ultra Performance Liquid Chromatography method was developed and validated using a diode array detector and a mass spectrophotometer to determine the content of the andrographolide. The chromatographic conditions were: ACQUITY® UPLC BEH C18, 1.7μ column, size 2.1 x 100 mm, mixture of 0.050% formic acid in water and 0.025% formic acid in acetonitrile as the mobile phase of the gradient system, flow rate 0.5 ml/min and UV detector 223 nm. The chromatogram showed suitability of chromatographic system, which conformed to the United States Pharmacopoeia 39th revision (USP39) requirements. The selectivity and specificity of the method were assessed by the separation of andrographolide from the other diterpene lactones. The developed method showed good accuracy, precision, linearity and range including robustnesss, according to the USP and ICH guidelines. The validated method could be used as the reference method for the assay of the andrographolide substance in andrographolide bulk material and powdered andrographis.
2. Department of Medical Sciences. Thai Herbal Pharmacopoeia. Nonthaburi: Department of Medical Sciences; 2016. p.103–13.
3. Aromdee C. No bitter of Andrographis paniculata . Khon Kaen: Khon Kaen University Press; 2015. p. 2. (in Thai)
4. The United States Pharmacopoeial Convention, Inc. The United States Pharmacopoeia, The National Formulary 39th revision. Rockville, MD.: The United States Pharmacopoeial Convention, Inc.; 2016. p.6461, 6463.
5. Ultra Performance Liquid Chromatography (UPLC): An introduction [Internet]. 2005 [cited 2005 May]; [7 screens]. Available from: https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/7e1c/346c178f9a48e91b45fc8a5c9a9e47685686.pdf
6. European Medicines Agency. ICH guidelines on validation of analytical procedures: text and methodology, London: European Medicines Agency; 1995. 15 p.
7. ORA validation and verification guidance for human drug analytical methods [Internet]. 2014 [cited 2014 Sep 22]; [3 screens]. Available from:
8. Wheat T.E. Effective use of the ACQUITY® QDa mass detector with your chromatography system [Internet]. 2015 [cited 2016 May 20]; [76 screens]. Available from: https://www.waters.com/webassets/cms/events/docs/us_events/2015_us_events/QDaMTESlides11_12_15FINAL.pdf
9. Solvents and caveats for LC/MS [Internet]. 2015 [cited 2016 May 20]; [1 screen]. Available from: https://www.waters.com/waters/en_TH/Solvents-and-Caveats-for-LC-MS/nav.htm?cid=10091173&locale=en_TH
10. Pitt JJ. Principles and application of liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry in clinical biochemistry. Clin Biochem Rev. 2009;30(1):19–34.
11. Yong-Xi S, Shi-Ping L, Zhao J, Jian-Fei Q, Zhi-Yuan J. Qualitative and quantitative analysis of Andrographis paniculata by rapid resolution liquid chromatography/Time-of-Flight mass spectrometry. Molecules. 2013;18(10):12192–207.
12. Yoopan N, Thisoda P, Rangkadilok N, Sahasitiwat S, Pholphana N, Ruchirawat S, Satayavivad J. Cardiovascular effects of 14-deoxy-11,12-didehydroandrographolide and Andrographis paniculata extracts. Planta Med. 2007;73(6):503–11.
13. Pholphana N, Rangkadilok N, Satayavivad J. Andrographis paniculata: Herbs that are widely known both domestically and internationally [Internet]. 2016 [cited 2017 Aug 20]; [1 screen]. Available from: https://www.eht.sc.mahidol.ac.th/article/1807 (in Thai)
14. Lomlim L, Jirayupong N, Plubrukarn A. Heat-accelerated degradation of solid-state andrographolide. Chem Pharm Bull. 2003;51(1):24–6.