Main Article Content
Introduction: The aim of this study is correlated the mammography and ultrasonography in BIRADS 4B and BIRADS 4C categories with the pathological finding.
Methods: A retrospective review was made of all patients who presented with mammography and ultrasonography in BIRADS 4B and BIRADS 4C categories at Buriram hospital between January 1st, 2017 and December 31st, 2017. The histologic diagnosis was performed by excisional biopsy.
Results: One hundred and twelve patients were performed mammography and ultrasonography. The mean age was 52.5 years. In BIRADS 4B, the benign lesion was 48 patients (61.8%) and malignant lesion was 14 patients (24.6%). In BIRADS 4C, the benign lesion was 21 patients (38.2%) and malignant lesion was 43 patients (75.4%), (p-value 0.000). The ultrasound and mammography that correlated benign lesion was oval shape and non-calcified (p-value 0.029 and 0.02, respectively). In contrast, the ultrasound and mammography that correlated malignant lesion was irregular shape, fine pleomorphic calcification and axillary lymphadenopathy (p-value 0.037, 0.000 and 0.013, respectively).
Conclusions: Discordant lesion between imaging and histologic finding should be aware especially imaging was shown irregular shape, fine pleomorphic calcification and axillary lymphadenopathy but histologic finding was shown benign lesion.
Keywords: mammography, ultrasonography, BIRADS, breast lesion
2. Siegel RL, Miller KD, Jemal A. Cancer Statistics, 2017. CA Cancer J Clin 2017;67(1):7-30.
3. Jørgensen KJ, Kalager M, Barratt A, Baines C, Zahl PH, Brodersen J, et al. Overview of guidelines on breast screening: Why recommendations differ and what to do about it. Breast 2017;31:261-9.
4. Sitt JC, Lui CY, Sinn LH, Fong JC. Understanding breast cancer screening-past, present, and future. Hong Kong Med J 2018;24(2):166-74.
5. Peairs KS, Choi Y, Stewart RW, Sateia HF. Screening for breast cancer. Semin Oncol 2017;44(1):60-72.
6. Spak DA, Plaxco JS, Santiago L, Dryden MJ, Dogan BE. BI-RADS® fifth edition: A summary of changes. Diagn Interv Imaging 2017;98(3):179-90.
7. Bent CK, Bassett LW, D'Orsi CJ, Sayre JW. The positive predictive value of BI-RADS microcalcification descriptors and final assessment categories. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2010;194(5):1378-83.
8. Leblebici IM, Bozkurt S, Eren TT, Ozemir IA, Sagiroglu J, Alimoglu O. Comparison of clinicopathological findings among patients whose mammography results were classified as category 4 subgroups of the BI-RADS. North Clin Istanb 2014;1(1):1-5.
9. Youk JH, Kim EK, Kim MJ, Lee JY, Oh KK. Missed breast cancers at US-guided core needle biopsy: how to reduce them. Radiographics 2007;27(1):79-94.
10. Parikh J, Tickman R. Image-guided tissue sampling: where radiology meets pathology. Breast J 2005;11(6):403-9.
11. Liberman L. Percutaneous image-guided core breast biopsy. Radiol Clin North Am 2002;40(3):483-500, vi.
12. Wiratkapun C, Bunyapaiboonsri W, Wibulpolprasert B, Lertsithichai P. Biopsy rate and positive predictive value for breast cancer in BI-RADS category 4 breast lesions. J Med Assoc Thai 2010;93(7):830-7.
13. Levy L, Suissa M, Chiche JF, Teman G, Martin B. BIRADS ultrasonography. Eur J Radiol 2007;61(2):202-11.
14. Elverici E, Barça AN, Aktaş H, Özsoy A, Zengin B, Çavuşoğlu M, et al. Nonpalpable BI-RADS 4 breast lesions: sonographic findings and pathology correlation. Diagn Interv Radiol 2015;21(3):189-94.
15. Lee HJ, Kim EK, Kim MJ, Youk JH, Lee JY, Kang DR, et al. Observer variability of Breast Imaging Reporting and Data System (BI-RADS) for breast ultrasound. Eur J Radiol 2008;65(2):293-8.
16. Costantini M, Belli P, Ierardi C, Franceschini G, La Torre G, Bonomo L. Solid breast mass characterisation: use of the sonographic BI-RADS classification. Radiol Med 2007;112(6):877-94.
17. Atasoy MM, Tasali N, Çubuk R, Narin B, Deveci U, Yener N, et al. Vacuum-assisted stereotactic biopsy for isolated BI-RADS 4 microcalcifications: evaluation with histopathology and midterm follow-up results. Diagn Interv Radiol 2015;21(1):22-7.
18. Sickles EA. Breast calcifications: mammographic evaluation. Radiology 1986;160(2):289-93.
19. Scaranelo AM, Eiada R, Bukhanov K, Crystal P. Evaluation of breast amorphous calcifications by a computer-aided detection system in full-field digital mammography. Br J Radiol 2012;85(1013):517-22.
20. Nalawade YV. Evaluation of breast calcifications. Indian J Radiol Imaging 2009;19(4):282-6.
21. Kim MJ, Kim D, Jung W, Koo JS. Histological analysis of benign breast imaging reporting and data system categories 4c and 5 breast lesions in imaging study. Yonsei Med J 2012;53(6):1203-10.
22. Walsh R, Kornguth PJ, Soo MS, Bentley R, DeLong DM. Axillary lymph nodes: mammographic, pathologic, and clinical correlation. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1997;168(1):33-8.
23. Görkem SB, O'Connell AM. Abnormal axillary lymph nodes on negative mammograms: causes other than breast cancer. Diagn Interv Radiol 2012;18(5):473-9.