Main Article Content
This quasi-experimental research design aimed to examine the effect of video assisted teaching program on ostomy care knowledge and skills among new ostomate’s caregivers. The Orem’s dependent care agency and Bloom’s taxonomy was used as the conceptual framework. The sample composed of 50 caregivers of new ostomate who were treatment at Ramathibodi Hospital divided into a control group and an experimental group 25 subjects each. The control group received routine instruction from enterostomal therapy nurses, then the experimental group received the video assisted teaching program plus routine instruction. Ostomy care knowledge were collected before and after teaching and after discharge 1 week and ostomy care skills were collected after teaching and after discharged 1 week. Instrumentation was composed of the video-assisted teaching program, Demographic Data Questionnaire, the Ostomy Care Knowledge Assessment Form, and the Ostomy Care Skill Assessment Form. Data were analyzed using descriptive statistics, Chi-square, t-test, and ANOVA statistics. Results of the study showed significant increase in knowledge and skill scores. No significant differences were found between the 2 groups with knowledge of ostomy care, but the experimental group had statistically higher mean score of skill than the control group. Based on the findings of the study, the video assisted teaching program should be used in order to teach new ostomates and caregivers about ostomy care.
Keywords: Video assisted teaching program, New ostomates, Caregivers, Ostomy care knowledge, Ostomy care skills
บทความ ข้อมูล เนื้อหา รูปภาพ ฯลฯ ที่ได้รับการตีพิมพ์ในรามาธิบดีพยาบาลสาร ถือเป็นลิขสิทธิ์ของวารสาร หากบุคคลหรือหน่วยงานใดต้องการนำทั้งหมดหรือส่วนหนึ่งส่วนใดไปเผยแพร่หรือเพื่อกระทำการใด ใด จะต้องได้รับอนุญาตเป็นลายลักษณ์อักษรจากรามาธิบดีพยาบาลสารก่อนเท่านั้น
2. Muzyczka K, Kachaniuk H, Szadowska-Szlachetka Z, Charzynska-Gula M, Kocka K, Bartoszek A, et al. Selected problems associated with the treatment and care for patients with colostomy-part 1 Contemp Oncol (Pozn). 2013;17,134-6.
3. United Ostomy Associations of America [Internet]. 2005 [cited 2016 Sep 22]. Available from: https://www.ostomy.org/our-mission-history/
4. Recalla S, English K, Nazarali R, Mayo S, Miller D, Gray M. Ostomy care and management A systematic review. J Wound Ostomy Continence Nurs. 2013;40:489-500.
5. Surgery statistics. Statistics for gastrointestinal ostomy surgery. Ramathibodi Hospital. 2016. (in Thai)
6. Salvadalena GD. The incidence of stoma and peristomal complications during the first 3 months after ostomy creation. J Wound Ostomy Continence Nurs. 2013; 40:400-6.
7. Burch J. Management of peristomal skin complications. Br J Healthc Manag. 2014;20:264-9.
8. Meisner S, Lehur PA, Moran B, Martins L, Jemec GB. Peristomal skin complications are common, expensive, and difficult to manage: a population based cost modeling study. PLoS One. 2012; 7(5): e37813. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone. 0037813
9. Nybaek H, Bang Knudsen D, Norgaard Laursen T, Karlsmark T, Jemec GB. Skin problems in ostomy patients: a case-control study of risk factors. Acta Derm Venereol. 2009;89: 64-7.
10. Thirathongdee K, Ronritthivichai C, Thongcharoen W, Pongthawornkamol K. Factors predicting the quality of life of elderly patients who underwent open abdominal surgery. Thai Canc J. 2014;34: 68-78. (in Thai)
11. Liao C, Qin Y. (2014). Factors associated with stoma quality of life among stoma patients. Int J Nurs Sci. 2014;1(2):196-201.
12. Orem D. Nursing: Concept of practice. 4th ed. St. Louis: Mosby; 2001.
13. Krouse RS, Grant M, McCorkle R, Wendel CS, Cobb MD, Tallman NJ, et al. A chronic care ostomy self-management program for cancer survivors. Psycho Oncol. 2016; 25:574-81.
14. Wannawong S, Isaramalai S, Kahawong W, Naknual S. Efficiency of program to support and enhance care agency to prevent complications in ostomates. Princess of Naradhiwas University J. 2014;6:36–47. (in Thai)
15. Lo SF, Wang YT, Wu LY, Hsu MY, Chang SC, Hayter M. Multimedia education programme for patients with a stoma: effectiveness evaluation. J Adv Nurs. 2011;67: 68-76. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2648.2010.05455.x
16. Mongkolsawat S. The effect of edcational program for patients with colostomy in Khon Kaen Hospital [Thesis]. Khon Kaen University; 2010. (in Thai)
17. Crawford D, Texter T, Hurt K, VanAelst R, Glaza L, Vander Laan KJ. Traditional nurse instruction versus 2 session nurse instruction plus DVD for teaching ostomy care: a multisite randomized controlled trial. J Wound Ostomy Continence Nurs. 2012;39: 529-37.
18. Viriyaprasobchok P, Chaikhun S. Efficacy of cataract relatives’ cataract surgery using video tape. Otolaryngology and Ophthalmic ward, Chiang Rai Prachanukroh Hospital. Chiang Rai Medical J. 2012;4:43-53. (in Thai)
19. Pinupong I, Kwanchai C. Effects of knee exercise teaching media on knee exercise skills among patients undergoing total knee arthroplasty. Songklanagarind J Nurs. 2011;31: 33-41. (in Thai)
20. Hanucharurnkul S. Self-care: Nursing Science and Arts. Bangkok: VJ Printing; 2001. (in Thai)
21. Bloom, BS. Stability and change in human characteristics. New York: Wiley; 1964.
22. Faul F, Erdfelder E, Lang AG, Buchner A. G*Power 3: a flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and biomedical sciences. Behav Res Methods. 2007,39(2):91-175.
23. Faul F, Erdfelder E, Lang AG, Buchner A. G*Power 3.0.10 [Internet]. 2008 (cited 2016 Sep 22) Available from: https://www.brothersoft.com/gpower-405573.html
24. Intarasombat P. Assessment of health status in the elderly. Rama Nurs J. 1996;2:44-56. (in Thai)
25. Butsarakorn S. Promoting holistic health for all ages. Songkhla: Tem Printing; 2008. (in Thai)
26. McMullen CK, Schneider J, Altschuler A, Grant M, Hornbrook MC, Liljestrand P, et al. Caregivers as healthcare managers: health management activities, needs, and caregiving relationships for colorectal cancer survivors with ostomies. Support Care Canc. 2014;22:2401-8.
27. Palma E., Simonetti V, Franchelli P, Pavone, Cicolini G. An observational study of family caregivers’ quality of life caring for patients with stoma. Gastroenterol Nurs. 2012;35:99-104.