Main Article Content
The effect of siam weed leaf crude extract, Chromolaena odorata (L.) R.M. King & H. Rob of ethanol extracts as repellent activity, insecticidal activity and inhibition of growth and development was tested on oriental fruit fly, Bactrocera dorsalis (Hendel) (Diptera: Tephritidae). The treatments at various concentrations of siam weed leaf extract 0, 0.5, 1, 2, 4 and 8% were applied. The treatments were arranged in a completely randomized design (CRD) and replicated 5 times on 10 adults and experiment was conducted at biology laboratory. The result found that the siam weed leaf crude extract as repellent activity, insecticidal activity and inhibition of growth and development on oriental fruit fly was significantly effective (p<0.05) when compared with the control. At 8% of siam weed leaf crude extract was effective as repellent activity on oriental fruit fly. The repellent activity of adult of oriental fruit fly was 9.60 + 0.48 adults (PR=92%) at the 12th hour and was 10.0 + 0.00 adults (PR=100%) at the 24th hour. The insecticidal activity at 8% of siam weed leaf crude extract was effective as insecticidal activity on larvae of oriental fruit fly. The percent of mortality was the highest 7.60 + 0.74 adults (76%) and LC50 value with 36.34 at the 24th hour and 10.00 + 0.00 adults (100%) and LC50 value with 23.28 at the 48th hour. Besides, at 0.5% of siam weed leaf extract was 25% of mortality of pupa stage when compared with control was 0.0%. The time of development of pupa stage and adult stage were 12.50 + 0.47 and 7.40 + 0.47 days, respectively when compared with control were 7.20 + 0.47 and 12.50 + 0.47 days, respectively.
2. Agaba, T.A and B. Fawole. (2016). Phytochemical Constituents of Siam Weed (Chromolaena odorata) and African Custard Apple (Annona senegalensis). Int. J Food Agri. Vet. Sc. 6(1): 35-42.
3. Ali, H., S. Ahmad., G. Hassan., A. Amin., Z. Hussain and M. Naeem. (2011). Bioefficacy of Different Plant Extracts against Melon Fruit Fly in Bitter Gound. Pak. J. Weed Sci. Res. 17(2): 143-149.
4. Azad, M.A.K. (2012). Effect of Botanical Extract on Pest Control in Brinjal Field. J. environ sci and nat resources. 5(2):173–176.
5. Chakraborty, A.K., S. Rambhade and U.K Patil. (2011). Chromolaena odorata (L.): An Overview. J Pharm Res. 4(3): 573-576.
6. Dey, K.R., P. Choudhury and B.K. Dutta. (2013). Impact of pesticide use on the health of farmers: A study in Barak valley, Assam (India). J. Environ Chemist and Ecotox. 5(10): 269-277.
7. Finney, D.J. (1971). Probit Analysis, 3rd ed., Cambridge University Press: London.
8. Haider, H., S. Ahmed and R.R. Khan. (2011). Determination of level of insecticide resistance in fruit fly, Bactrocera zonata (Saunders) (Diptera: Tephritidae) by bait bioassay. Int. J. Agri and Bio. 13: 815–818.
9. Isman M.B. (2000). Plant essential oils for pest and disease management. Crop Protect. 19: 603-608.
10. Isenring, R. (2010). Pesticides reduce biodiversity. Pesticides News. 88: 4-7.
11. Jagruti H.S., H. Kumar., M.H.S. Godinho and A. Kumar. (2014). Larvicidal activity of methanolic leaf extracts of plant, Chromolaena odorata L. (Asteraceae) against vector mosquitoes. Int. J. Mosquito Res. 1(3): 33-38.
12. Jayanthi, P.D.K., V. Kempraj, M.A. Ravindra and A. Verghese. (2015). Oriental fruit fly, Bactrocera dorsalis (Hendel) infestation makes banana crop vulnerable to Indian blue peafowls attack. Pest Manage in Horticul Eco. 21(1): 88-89.
13. Kaur, A., S.K. Sohal., R. Singh and S. Arora. (2010). Development inhibitory effect of Acacia auriculiformis extracts on Bactrocera cucurbitae (Coquillett) (Diptera: Tephritidae). J. Biopest. 3(2): 499-504.
14. Khan, S., M.M. Shah., R. Ahmad and H.A.Q. Ihsan ul. (2016). The insecticidal potential of botanical extracts for management of Peach fruit fly, Bactrocera zonata Saunders, 1842 (Diptera: Tephritidae). Türk. entomol. derg. 40(4): 445-453.
15. Lall, D., S. Summerwar and J. Pandey. (2014). Bioefficacy of Plant Extracts Against Larvae of American Bollworm Helicoverpa armigera (Noctuidae: Lepidoptera) Special Reference to the Effect on Peritrophic Membrane). Int. Conference Chem, Civil and Environ Engineer (CCEE’2014). Nov 18-19, Singapore. 21-23.
16. Nadeem, M.K., S. Ahmed., S. Nadeem., M. Ishfaq and M. Fiaz. (2014). Assessment of Insecticides Resistance in Field Population of Bactrocera zonata (Saunders) (Diptera: Tephritidae). J. Animal & Plant Sciences. 24(1): 172-178.
17. Prabhakar, C.S., P. Sood and P.K. Mehta. (2012). Pictorial keys for predominant Bactrocera and Dacus fruit flies (Diptera: Tephritidae) of north western Himalaya. Arthropods. 1(3): 101-111.
18. Prakash, A., J. Rao., V. Nandagopal. (2008). Future of Botanical Pesticides in rice, wheat, pulses and vegetables pest management. J. Biopest. 1(2):154–169.
19. Rajmohan, D and K. Logankumar. (2011). Studies on the insecticidal properties of Chromolaena odorata (Asteraceae) against the life cycle of the mosquito. J. Res Bio. 1(4): 253-257.
20. Rehman, J.U., G. Jilani., M.A. Khan., R. Masih and S. Kanvil. (2009). Repellent and Oviposition Deterrent Effects of Indigenous Plant Extracts to Peach Fruit Fly, Bactrocera zonata Saunders (Diptera: Tephritidae). Pakistan J. Zool. 41(2): 101-108.
21. Thakur, M and D. Gupt. (2013). Plant Extracts as Oviposition Deterrents against Fruit Flies, Bactrocera spp. Infesting Vegetable Crops. Pest Res Journal. 25(1): 24-28.
22. Sarwar, M and M. Salman. (2015). Insecticides Resistance in Insect Pests or Vectors and Development of Novel Strategies to Combat Its Evolution. Int. J. Bioinf and Biomed Engineer. 1(3): 344-351.
23. Siddiqi, A.R., A. Rafi., F. Naz., R. Masih., I. Ahmad and G. Jilani. (2011). Effects of Curcuma longa extracts on mortality and fecundity of Bactrocera zonata (Diptera: Tephritidae). Ciência e Prática. 35(6): 1110-1114.
24. Verghese, A., P.L. Tandon and J.M. Stonehouse. (2004). Economic evaluation of the integrated management of the oriental fruit fly Bactrocera dorsalis (Diptera: Tephritidae) in mango in India. Crop Protect. 23: 61–63.
25. Zhou B.G., S. Wang., T.T. Dou., S. Liu., M.Y. Li., R.M. Hua., S.G, Li and H.F. Lin. (2016). Aphicidal Activity of Illicium verum Fruit Extracts and Their Effects on the Acetylcholinesterase and Glutathione S-transferases Activities in Myzus persicae (Hemiptera: Aphididae). J. Insect Science. 16(1): 1–7.