Main Article Content
Design thinking refers to a creative, human-centred thinking process. This system
of thinking can lead to transdisciplinary innovations because the ideas and imaginations
are derived from staff members with various organisational backgrounds. A prototype
created from a design thinking process can be promptly tested and adjusted to ensure it
ultimately produces the desired outcomes.
This article aims to describe a design thinking process developed using the D
School concept. This process involves 5 stages, namely, (1) Developing an in-depth
understanding; (2) Defning and interpreting problems; (3) Unlimited sharing of
imaginations and creative ideas; (4) Developing a prototype; and (5) Testing the
In the context of Thai healthcare system, design thinking refers to creation of
innovations that not only respond to patients’ needs and hopes, but also address the
problems faced by the patients, caregivers, and healthcare personnel. Design thinking
also contributes to the planning of innovative healthcare services, as it can be applied
by nurses to systematically design clinical problem-solving approaches and healthcare
systems that effectively respond to patients’ needs.
2. Yingsanit V. Design thinking [Internet]. 3 Apr [2017?]- [access in the 10th October 2017 Available from: https://medium.com/@yingsanit_v/summary of defnition-procedure-and knowledge related to -design-thinking 795a6916074 (In Thai)
3. Poothnapibul AB. What is design thinking. Journal of Governmental Offcers who have high achievement (Internet). 2017 (access in the 10th October 2017) Available from : www.ocsc.go.th/sites/default/fles/.../article/newsletter_1.pdf (In Thai)
4. Wangmontree C. What is design thinking? Exploring the procedure: three major principles of design
(Internet). 11 August 2017 (access in the 10th October 2017) Available from: https://www.grey-ray.com/ single-post/2017/08/11/3-Defnition-DesignThinking-Concept of design of which the designers have to know. ( In Thai)14
5. Plattner H. An introduction to design thinking process guide [internet]. [cited 2017 Oct 12]. Available from:
https://dschoolold.stanford.edu/sandbox/groups/ designresources/wiki/36873/attachments/ 74b3d/ModeGuideBOOTCAMP2010L.pdf
6. Cox M. Design thinking in healthcare [internet]. 2015 [cited 2017 Oct 12]. Available from: https:// www.researchgate.net/publication/281408556_ Design_Thinking_in_Healthcare
7. Partriage R. Understanding the roles of the designer in health care: A Practice-Based study into supporting
adolescents with long-term conditions. The Design Journal 2017;20(4):532-32.
8. Advisory.com. How 4 hospitals are using ‘design thinking’ to foster innovation [internet]. 2017 [cited 2017 Oct 12]. Available from: https://www.advisory.com/daily-briefng/2017/08/11/designthinking
9. Creative Thailand. TCDC. Dear Elders: Products and services for the aged: anything is possible (Internet) 2017 [access in the 10th October 2017]. Available from: https://www.tcdc.or.th/creativethailand/article/Other/27999/ (In Thai)
10. TCDC [Home page on Internet]. Bangkok: Service of TCDC; c2017 [access in the 10th October 2017].Available from: https://web.tcdc.or.th/th/our-service (In Thai)
11. Anuwat Supachutikul, Kittinan Ananmanee Editor. HA 2017 update. Nontaburee: DeeWan Book Company;2017. ( In Thai)
12. TCDC [Home page on Internet]. Bangkok: Return happiness to patients using service design : the further steps of Bamrungraj International Hospital; c 2017[access in the 15th October 2017]. Available from: https://www.tcdc.or.th/articles/others/21956/# Return happiness to patients using- Service-Design--the further steps of Bamrungraj International Hospital ( In In Thai)
13. Roberts JR, Fisher TR, Trowbridge MJ, Bent C. A design thinking framework for healthcare management and innovation. Healthcare 2016; 4:11-4.
14. Brown, T. Design thinking. Harv Bus Rev (2008),86(6), 84.
15. Tidehole A, Ryden O. Design thinking as facilitation for Innovation in Swedish Healthcare – A case study at Karolinska University Hospital [Thesis]. Göteborg: Chalmers University of Technology; 2015.
16. van de Grift TC, Kroeze R. Design thinking as a tool for interdisciplinary education in health care. Acad
Med 2016; 91(9):1234-8.
17. Somchai Manopattanakul. Design thinking. Braces News 2015, April, 12-7. (In Thai)