Main Article Content
Objective: To study older women in terms of their sexual health and quality of life, and describe the relationship between the two factors.
Design: Descriptive correlational study.
Methodology: The participants, recruited by means of stratifed random sampling, were 200 women aged 60 years or more who were members of Bangkok Federation Club for Older Adults. Data were collected between August and November 2017, using 1) a demographic data questionnaire, 2) a sexual health questionnaire for older women, and 3) the quality of life scale for Thai older adults. Data analysis was performed using descriptive statistics and Pearson’s correlation coeffcient, with a signifcant level set at .05.
Results: The participants’ overall sexual, physical, psychological and social health was at a moderate level and love relationship aspect had a good level, with their. For quality of life, their physical and spiritual aspects were at a high level. However, their psychological and social aspects were at a moderate level. A positively moderate relationship, at a statistically signifcant level, was found between the participants’ overall sexual health and their overall and categorical life quality (r = .449, p <.001; r = .391 - .441; p < .001, respectively). Also, a statistically signifcant positive relationship was found between their categorical sexual health and their overall and categorical life quality (r = .333 - .402, p < .001; r = .240 - .405; p < .001, respectively).
Recommendations: The fndings of this study could help healthcare providers to develop a better understanding of the relationship between sexual health and quality of life. Such an understanding could be a foundation for planning and promoting sexual health to improve older women’s quality of life
2. Lusti-Narasimhan M, Beard R. Sexual health in older woman. Bull World Health Organization 2013;
3. World Health Organization. Defnition of sexual health [Internet]. 2010 (cited 2016 Sep 10). Available
from: http://www2. hu-berlin. De /sexology/ ECE5/ defnition_4.html
4. Muliira JK, Muliira RS. Sexual health for older woman. Suthan Qaboos U Med J 2013; 13(4): 469-6.
5. World Health Organization Quality of Life Group. The World Health Organization Quality of Life
Assessment (WHO_QOL): Development and general psychometric properties. Soc Sci Med 1998; 46:
6. Tupy S, Schumann M, Xu X. Sexual activity and older adults: Stigma, overall health and research. J
Posit Sex 2015; 1: 70-5.
7. Waite LJ, Laumann EO, Das A, Schumm LP. Sexuality: Measures of partnerships, practices,
attitudes, and problems in the nation social life, health, and aging study. J Gerontol: Soc Sci 2009; 64(1): 56-66.
8. Flynn TJ, Gow AJ. Examining associations between sexual behavior and quality of life in older adult. Age
Ageing 2015; 44: 823-8.
9. Chao JK, Lin YC, Ma MC, Lai C J, Ku CK, Kuo WH, et al. Relationship among sexual desire, sexual
satisfactions and quality of life in middle-aged and older adult. J Sex Marital Ther 2011; 37(5):386-403.
10. Robinson JG, Molzahn AE. Sexuality and quality of life. J Gerontol Nurs 2007; 33(3): 19-27.
11. Thompson WK, Charo L, Vahia IV, Depp C, Allison M, Jeste DV. Association between higher level of sexual function, activity and satisfaction and self-rate successful aging in older post-menopausal women. J Am Geriatr Soc 2011; 59(8): 1503-8.
12. Woloski-Wruble AC, Oliel Y, Leefsma M, HochnerCelnikier D. Sexual activity, sexual and life satisfaction and successful aging in woman. J Sex Med 2010; 7(7): 2401-10.
13. Choi KB, Jang SH, Lee MY, Kim KH. Sexual lifeand self-esteem in married elderly. Arch Gerontol Geriatr 2010; 53(1): 17-20.
14. Edwards JN, Booth A. Sexuality, marriage, and well-being: The middle years. In Delamater: Sexual expression in later life: A review and synthesis. J Sex Res 2012; (49): 125-41.
15. Yamarat K. Qualitative and qualitative descriptive study of elderly people in Nakhon Ratchasima, Sing Buri and Pathum Thani. [research] Bangkok: Thai Health Promotion Foundation; 2013. (in Thai)
16. Ampaijit A, Arpanantikul M, Punyathalang T. Sexual health problems, management, and assisted needs of women with cervical cancer after treatment and their spouses. Ramathibodi Nursing Journal 2009; 18(1); 43-57. (in Thai)
17. Hughes AK, Rostant OS, Pelon S. Sexual problem among older woman by age and race. J Womans
Health 2015; 24(8): 663-9.
18. Santosa A, Ohman A, Hogberg U, Stanlund H, Hakimi M, Nawi. Cross-section survey of sexual dysfunction
and quality of life among older people in Indonesia. J Sex Med 2009; 8(6): 1594-602.
19. Taboonpong S, Suttharangsee W, Chailangka P. The quality measures of quality of life condensed version of the World Health Organization in Thailand elderly. Journal of Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine 2011; 2: 6-12. (in Thai)
20. Yodpet S. Sexual health in elderly: Social issue. Journal of Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine
2009; 10(2): 1-13. (in Thai)
21. Trongsakul S, Lambert R, Clark A, Wongpalearan N, Cross J. Development of the Thai version of mini-cog, a brief cognitive screening test. Geriatr Gerontol Int 2015; 15(5): 594-600.
22. Yamane T. Statistic: An introductory analysis. New York: J. B. Lippincott; 1973.
23. Prakobkit K, Junda T, Sumdaengrit B. Marital relationship before surgery, sexual health, and quality
of life in women with breast cancer after surgery and their spouse. Journal of Nursing Health 2013; 32(3): 14-23. (in Thai)
24. Merghati-Khoei E, Pirak A, Yazdkhasti M, Rezasoltani P. Sexuality and elderly with chronic
diseases: A review of the existing literature. J Res Med Sci 2016; 21(1): 136-46.
25. Kalra G, Subramanyam A, Pinto C. Sexuality: Desire, activity and in the elderly. Indian J Psychiatr 2011;
26. Owiredu WK, Owusu AO, Amidu A, QuayeL, Gyasi-Sarpong CK, Dapare PM, Alidu H. Sexual
dysfunction and sexual quality of life among the physically challenged in the Kumasi metropolis,Ghana. Health Qual Life Out 2015, 13(3):1-8.
27. Wang V, Depp CA, Ceglowski J, Thompson WK,Rock D, Jeste DV. Sexual health and function in
later life: A population-based study of 606 older adults with a partner. Am J Geriatr Psychiatr 2015,23(3), 227-33.
28. Khumwong W, Nusaward J, Pratanworapanya W, Siripanya J. Factor relating to quality of life of elderly.
Journal of Health Science Research 2011; 5(2):32-40. (in Thai)
29. Dangubon P, Chantarawong S, Nakhern P. Factors associated with the quality of the life of senior citizens
in Nakornpathom Province. Graduate Studies Journal 2013; 10(50): 95-112. (in Thai)