Main Article Content
The purpose of this quasi-experimental study, two-group pre-test and post-test design, was to find the effectiveness of an enhancing motivation program in weight reduction via electronic communication for obese nursing students. The study examined weight reduction motivation, weight reduction behaviors, waistline, and body mass index.
The sample was obese nursing students of the college of nursing who were selected by simple random sampling and put into the experimental and comparative groups with 30 students in each group. The research instruments were 1) the enhancing motivation program in weight reduction via electronic communication which was developed based on a motivation model. The experiment duration was 8 weeks. The activities comprised of health education and skill practice on food consumption and exercises for weight reduction. The LINE application was used for review their knowledge, motivate, and follow up their weight reduction behaviors. 2) Questionnaires of motivation in weight reduction and weight reduction behaviors, 3) a weighing scale, and 4) waist circumference were used. Content validity index of the questionnaire of motivation in weight reduction and weight reduction behaviors were .92 and .89 and Cronbach’s alpha coefficient were .90 and .88, respectively. Descriptive statistics, t-test, and nonparametric statistics were used for data analysis.
The results revealed that after enrolling the enhancing motivation program of weight reduction via electronic communication, motivation in weight reduction, and weight reduction behaviors of obese nursing students in the experimental group were significantly better than before enrolling into the program as well as better than the comparative group at p-value .05. Mean of waistline and body mass index of the experimental group was significantly lower than before enrolling program as well as the comparative group at p-value= .05.
บทความที่ได้รับการตีพิมพ์ เป็นลิขสิทธิ์ของวารสารวิทยาลัยพยาบาลบรมราชชนนี กรุงเทพ ไม่สามารถนำไปตีพิมพ์ซ้ำในวารสารฉบับอื่น
2. Thaksaphon T, Sirinya P, Suladda P, Why Thais go fat?: Social determinants of obesity. Journal of
Public Health 2011;20(1):126-43. (in Thai).
3. Wichai A, et al. Thai Health Examination by the 5th Physical Examination in 2014 [Internet]. 2017
[cited 2018 Jan 6]. Avaiable from: https://www.hsri.or.th/researcher/research/new-release/
4. Kanlayanee N.Overweight and Obesity among Thai School-aged Children and Adolescents. Journal
of The Royal Thai Army Nurses [Internet]. 1 [cited 2018 Jul 7];18(suppl.2):1. Available from: https://
5. Petsunee T, Tuangtip T, Krisada S, Viroj T. Health problems and health care behaviors among
registered nurses in Thailand. Journal of Health Systems Research 2015;9(1):49-60. (in Thai).
6. Muireann Ky, Jane W, Rebecca J, Viv Sr. Should nurses be role models for healthy lifestyles? Results
from a modified Delphi study. Journal of Advanced Nursing 2017;73(3):665-678.
7. Boromarajonani college of Nursing Uttaradit.Summary report of survey and analysis of Health check
data of nursing students in academic year 2014-2016.Uttaradit: college of Nursing; 2017. (in Thai).
8. Kanyarat M, Jariya T, Chanathinat M, Thitikarn S,Tanawat M, Namfon L, et al. The Opinions on the
use of weight loss products of nursing students at Boromarajonani college of Nursing Uttaradit
[Research Report].Uttaradit: college of Nursing Uttaradit; 2017. (in Thai).
9. MGR Online. Warning “pills” cause mental symptoms “Depression” [Internet]. 2018 [cited 2018
Sep 8]. Avaiable from: https://mgronline.com/qol/detail/9610000049362
10. Sangtien T, Sirirak S. Problems and barriers, and the approaches to solve in losing weight of obese
nursing students at Kuakarun Faculty of Nursing in Navamindradhiraj University. Kuakarun Journal
of Nursing 2016;23(2):7-30. (in Thai).
11. Roumporn K, Kanokwan S. Prevention and resolution Excessive Weight: Removed Lessons Institute
of Nursing. Bangkok: Vattana-printing; 2015. (in Thai).
12. Varunee S. The Effects of Health Education Program for weights loss by modification Self Efficacy
theory and Social University.[Internet]. 2016 [cited 2018 Jan 6]. Available from: http://nursemis.
13. Papasinee S, Tanida T. Development of health promotion programs to reduce the weight of
student nurses Boromarajonani College of Nursing Suratthani are overweight. Journal of Nursing
and Education 2016;9(3):80-94. (in Thai).
14. Thitipong T, Siriorn S. Nursing practice guidelines for managing overweight in adulthood. In: Siriorn
S, editor. Nursing practice guidelines for managing overweight. Bangkok: Vattana-printing; 2015.
p 55-76.(in Thai).
15. National Statistical Office. Summary results Survey on the use of information technology and
household communication in 2016. 2016 [cited 2018 Sep 8]. Available from: http://service.nso.
16. Benjawan P, Sopit S, Pennapa P. Social media usage of student at Boromarajonani College of
Nursing, Trang. [Internet]. 2017 [cited 2018 Jan 6]. Available from: https://administer.pi.ac.th/
17. Ungsinun I, Anan M. The Effect of Health Behavior Modification based on Client Center Program
to Self-Care Behavior of Obese Students [Internet]. 2013 [cited 2018 Jan 6]. Available from: http://
18. Ampa L, Jariyawat K, Kanokporn N. The Effects of Transactional Program by home visit and
application line on self-care behaviors in adolescent pregnant women with iron deficiency anemia.
Journal of Boromarajonani College of Nursing, Bangkok 2019,35(1):48-58. (in Thai).
19. Keller, J. M. Motivational Design for Learning and Performance. New York: Springer; 2010.
20. Faul F, Erdfelder E, Buchner A, Lang AG. Statistical power analyses using G* Power 3.1: Tests for
correlation and regression analyses. Behavior Research Method 2009;41(4): 1149-60.
21. Chotika W, Rachadaporn M, Benjabhorn A. Modification of Health behavior of Naresuan University
Students with Obesity. [Internet]. 2013 [cited 2018 Jan 6]. Available from: http://nuir.lib.nu.ac.th/
22. Yupa N, Maimoonah A. The Effects of Dietary and Exercise Self-Regulation Program on Dietary and
Exercise Behavior and Body Weight of Obese Students. Songklanagarind Journal of Nursing
2016;36(2):78-92. (in Thai).
23. Sumalee K. The Effect of low calorie diet eating behavioral change guidelines for a weight
reduction program among overweight and obese students. SDU Research Journal 2015;8(3):97-118. (in Thai).
24. Chanin L.Fat people with Exercise. [Internet]. 2010 [cited 2018 Jan 6]. Available from:http://www.
25. Sonthaya, S.Physical Activities for Wellness. Bangkok: Chulalongkorn University Printing House;2014. (in Thai).
26. Achara, D.Fundamentals of diet therapy.2nd ed. Bangkok: Odeon store; 2013.(in Thai).
27. Pattarachittra S, On-anong W, Bussaba T. Effect of the weight control program focusing on the
modification of eating behavior in the overweight or obese university students. Thai Journal of
Pharmacy Practice 2010;2(1):35-45.(in Thai).
28. Janna DS, Allison MY, Jerilyn A. Smartphone Technology and text messaging for weight loss in
young adults: A Randomized controlled trial. J Cardiovasc Nurs 2017;32(1):39-46.