Main Article Content
The objective of this article was to exchange knowledge in assessing Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE) to evaluate clinical skills of the 4th year nursing students in Primary Medical Care Practicum. The Boromarajonnani College of Nursing, Bangkok began to use OSCE to assess clinical skills of nursing students after the end of practical training in the academic year 2015. The skills that need to be evaluated was suture skill. The results of OSCE showed that among 212 students, 69.34% passed the exam and 30.66% failed the exam. The test results and suggestions from the nurse faculty and students was taken to improve the OSCE arrangement. In the academic year 2016, two skills for OSCE examinations, suture and abdominal examination, were arranged. The results revealed that the suture skills of 177 students, 58.76%, was passed and 41.24% was failed the examination. For the abdominal examination skills, 57.63% was passed and 42.37% was failed the examination.
The lessons learned from the OSCE arrangement can be concluded that the clinical skill evaluation in nursing students is essential for comprehensive evaluation. The results from the OSCE could be used as a guide to improve practical teaching and learning. Success factors contributed to good preparation of the nurse faculty in term of content, situations, locations, teaching materials, and assessment forms, which must be consistent. The OSCE arrangement in the Primary Medical Care Practicum contributed to better clinical skills in the nursing students.
บทความที่ได้รับการตีพิมพ์ เป็นลิขสิทธิ์ของวารสารวิทยาลัยพยาบาลบรมราชชนนี กรุงเทพ ไม่สามารถนำไปตีพิมพ์ซ้ำในวารสารฉบับอื่น
2. Kunaviktikul W, Klunklin A, Chontawan R, Athaseri S. Factors related to the results of Nursing and
Obstetric License Tests Thai Journal of Nursing Council 2012;27:11-28. (in Thai)
3. Thailand Nursing and Midwifery Council. Project for the examination of nursing practice skills assessment
OSCE in the examination, registration and obtaining a professional license; 2013. (in Thai)
4. Faculty of Nursing College under the Praboromarajchanok Institute. (2559). Manual of Clinical Skills
Assessment with OSCE of the Bachelor of Nursing Science Program in Nursing Schools under the
Praboromarajchanok Institute. Nonthaburi: Yutharin Printing; 2016. (in Thai)
5. Chongloi N, Thomas P, Hansaram AM, Deepak KK. Attitudes of undergraduate nursing students toward
Objective Structure Practical Examination: An Exploratory study International Journal of Nursing
6. Mitchell ML, Jeffrey CA, Henderson A, Glover P, Nulty DD, Kelly MA, et al. Using an Objective
Structured Clinical Examination for Bachelor of Midwifery students’ preparation for practice
Woman and Birth 2014;27:108-13.
4. Gregory MR, Prouhet PM, Russel CL, Pfannenstiel BR. Quality of life for parents of children with
congenital heart defect a systematic review. Journal of cardiovascular nursing 2018;33(4):363-71.
5. Srichantaranit A. Nurses’ role in caring for young cyanotic congenital heart disease patients su18.