Main Article Content
Background: Epithelial inclusion conjunctival cysts are a rare occurrence post strabismus surgery. These cysts if left untreated can enlarge and cause complications such as limitation of eye movements, strabismus, proptosis and compression of ocular structures. Here we present a case of epithelial inclusion cyst post routine medial rectus recession, which was successfully treated with surgical excision.
Methods: Case Report
Results: A 4-year old Malay girl with partially accommodative esotropia underwent uneventful bilateral medial rectus recession. Post-operatively 4 months later, she developed nasal conjunctival mass of her right eye. The conjunctival mass was unresponsive to topical steroids and surgical excision was performed. Histopathological examination confirmed the mass as epithelial inclusion cyst.
Conclusion: Prompt diagnosis and management of epithelial inclusion cyst is crucial to prevent subsequent ocular complications.
2. Sameshima SS, Beyer-Machule CK. Acquired ptosis associated with conjunctival cyst. Ophthal Plast Reconstr surg 1988;4:159-62
3. Mamalis N, Teske MP, Kriesler KR. et al. Phacoemulsification combined with pars plana vitrectomy. Ophthalmic Surg 1991;22:194-8
4. Miyagi A, Maeda K, SugawaraT. Intraorbital conjunctival cyst after a penetrating orbital injury: a case report[in Japanese]. No Shinkei Geka 1996;24:649-53
5. Curtis TH, Stout AU, Drack AV, Durairaj VD. Giant orbital cysts after strabismus surgery. Am J Ophthalmol 2006; 142:697-699
6. Song JJ, Finger PT, Kurli M, Wisnicki HJ, Iacob CE. Giant secondary conjunctival inclusion cysts. Ophthalmology 2006; 113: 1045-1049
7. Guadilla AM , De Liano PG, Merino P, Franco G. Conjunctival cysts as a complication after strabismus surgery, J Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus 2011; 48(5):298–300
8. Simon JW. Complications of strabismus surgery. Curr Opin Ophthalmol 2010;21: 361-366
9. Lally DR, Eagle RC, BN Wasseerman. Occult intraorbital conjunctival inclusion cyst discovered almost 70 years after strabismus surgery. J Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus 2013 Apr 2;50 Online :e15-17.
10.Anjali SH, Nancy AH, Thermal cautery as a treatment for conjunctival inclusion cyst after strabismus surgery, Am J Association for Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus (AAPOS), Vol 5; No 1, 2001: 48-9
11. Al-Shehah A, Khan AO. Subconjunctival epithelial inclusion cyst complicating strabismus surgery: Early excision is better. Saudi J Ophthalmol 2010;24:27-30
12. Kothari M.A novel method for management of conjunctival inclusion cysts following strabismus surgery using isopropyl alcohol with paired injection technique. J AAPOS 2009;13(5):521-522
13. Hawkins AS, Hamming NA. Thermal cautery as a treatment for conjunctival inclusion cyst after strabismus surgery. JAAPOS 2001;5(1):48-49