Hight Performance Activated Carbon Produced From Black Liquor
Lignin is a main component in black liquor from pulp and paper industry. Lignin can be used as fuel and raw material for activated carbon production due to its high carbon content. In this research work, activated carbon was prepared from lignin by chemical activation method. The preparation of activated carbon was impregnation by phosphoric acid and then carbonization. The preparation is parameters such as phosphoric acid concentration (0-30%v/v), impregnation time (0-12h), and carbonization temperature (400 450 and 500oC) was investigated. Furthermore, physical and chemical properties of lignin and as-activated carbon were examined. The adsorption capacity of as-activated carbon was also determined by methylene blue (20-100ppm). It was found that specific surface area of as-activated carbon was increased with increasing of phosphoric acid concentration. The maximum specific surface area of 806 g/m2 with pore volume 2.02 nm and pore size 0.41 cm³/g was obtained at 30%v/v of phosphoric acid, impregnation time 8 h, and carbonization temperature 500oC. The microporous and mesoporous were observed in as-activated carbon. Interestingly, the obtained activated carbon can absorb 100% methylene blue adsorption within 2 h. It was fond that the method in this work provided
2. Jutakridsada P, Prajaksud C, Kuboonya-Aruk L, Theerakulpisut S, Kamwilaisak K. Adsorption characteristics of activated carbon prepared from spent ground coffee. Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy. 2016; 18(3): 639-645.
3. Mussatto SI, Fernandes M, Rocha GJM, Órfão JJM, Teixeira JA, Roberto IC. Production, characterization and application of activated carbon from brewer’s spent grain lignin. Bioresource Technology. 2010; 101(7): 2450-2457.
4. Gao Y, Yue Q, Gao B, Sun Y, Wang W, Li Q, et al. Preparation of high surface area-activated carbon from lignin of papermaking black liquor by KOH activation for Ni(II) adsorption. Chemical Engineering Journal. 2013; 217: 345-353.
5. Hayashi Ji, Kazehaya A, Muroyama K, Watkinson AP. Preparation of activated carbon from lignin by chemical activation. Carbon. 2000; 38(13): 1873-1878.
6. Fu K, Yue Q, Gao B, Sun Y, Zhu L. Preparation, characterization and application of lignin-based activated carbon from black liquor lignin by steam activation. Chemical Engineering Journal. 2013; 228: 1074-1082.
7. Youme P. Preparation of Activated Carbons with High Surface Area from Wood Charcoal Powder by Dry Chemical Activation. KKU SCIENCE JOURNAL. 2015; 43(4): 788-798.
8. Chu G, Zhao J, Huang Y, Liu Y, Wu M, Peng H, et al. Phosphoric acid pretreatment enhances the specific surface areas of biochars by generation of micropores. Environmental Pollution. 2018; 240: 1-9.
9. Zhu G-z, Deng X-l, Hou M, Sun K, Zhang Y-p, Li P, et al. Comparative study on characterization and adsorption properties of activated carbons by phosphoric acid activation from corncob and its acid and alkaline hydrolysis residues. Fuel Processing Technology. 2016; 144: 255-261.
10. Zou Y, Han B-X. Preparation of Activated Carbons from Chinese Coal and Hydrolysis Lignin. Adsorption Science & Technology. 2001; 19(1): 59-72.
11. Le Van K, Luong Thi TT. Activated carbon derived from rice husk by NaOH activation and its application in supercapacitor. Progress in Natural Science: Materials International. 2014; 24(3): 191-198.
12. Tang Y-b, Liu Q, Chen F-y. Preparation and characterization of activated carbon from waste ramulus mori. Chemical Engineering Journal. 2012; 203: 19-24.
13. Yakout SM, Sharaf El-Deen G. Characterization of activated carbon prepared by phosphoric acid activation of olive stones. Arabian Journal of Chemistry. 2016; 9: S1155-S1162.
14. Chandra TC, Mirna MM, Sunarso J, Sudaryanto Y, Ismadji S. Activated carbon from durian shell: Preparation and characterization. Journal of the Taiwan Institute of Chemical Engineers. 2009; 40(4): 457-462.
15. Ngernyen Y, Kamwilaisak K. Activated carbon from Thailand’s biomass: A review literature. Engineering and Applied Science Research. 2013;40(2): 267-283.
16. Zhang Jp, Sun Y, Woo MW, Zhang L, Xu KZ. Preparation of steam activated carbon from black liquor by flue gas precipitation and its performance in hydrogen sulfide removal: Experimental and simulation works. Journal of the Taiwan Institute of Chemical Engineers. 2016; 59: 395-404.
17. Fierro V, Torné-Fernández V, Celzard A. Kraft lignin as a precursor for microporous activated carbons prepared by impregnation with ortho-phosphoric acid: Synthesis and textural characterisation. Microporous and Mesoporous Materials. 2006; 92(1): 243-250.
18. Sych NV, Trofymenko SI, Poddubnaya OI, Tsyba MM, Sapsay VI, Klymchuk DO, et al. Porous structure and surface chemistry of phosphoric acid activated carbon from corncob. Applied Surface Science. 2012; 261: 75-82.
19. Kumar A, Jena HM. Preparation and characterization of high surface area activated carbon from Fox nut (Euryale ferox) shell by chemical activation with H3PO4. Results in Physics. 2016; 6: 651-658.
20. Dong Z, Wang H, Tian S, Yang Y, Yuan H, Huang Q, et al. Fluidized granular activated carbon electrode for efficient microbial electrosynthesis of acetate from carbon dioxide. Bioresource Technology. 2018; 269: 203-209.
21. Zhang G, Yinghui S, Ying X, Riguang Z. Catalytic performance of N-doped activated carbon supported cobalt catalyst for carbon dioxide reforming of methane to synthesis gas. Journal of the Taiwan Institute of Chemical Engineers. 2018; 20: 1-11.
22. Wang J, Jin L, Li Y, Jia C, Hu H. Effect of air pre-oxidization on coal-based activated carbon for methane decomposition to hydrogen. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy. 2016. 41(25): 10661-10669.
23. Hidayu A.R, Muda N. Preparation and Characterization of Impregnated Activated Carbon from Palm Kernel Shell and Coconut Shell for CO2 Capture. Procedia Engineering. 2016. 148: 106-113.
24. Zhao J, Xiuwen W, Hu J, Liu Q, Shen D, Xiao R. Thermal degradation of softwood lignin and hardwood lignin by TG-FTIR and Py-GC/MS. Polymer Degradation and Stability. 2014; 108: 133-138.
25. Wang W, Tan X, Yu Q, Wang Q, Qi W, Zhuang X, et al. Effect of stepwise lignin removal on the enzymatic hydrolysis and cellulase adsorption. Industrial Crops and Products. 2018; 122: 16-22.
26. Li J, Li B, Zhang X. Comparative studies of thermal degradation between larch lignin and manchurian ash lignin. Polymer Degradation and Stability. 2002; 78(2): 279-285.
27. Zhang H, Wu S, Xie J. Evaluation of the effects of isolated lignin on enzymatic hydrolysis of cellulose. Enzyme and Microbial Technology. 2017; 101: 44-50.
28. Huang Y, Liu H, Yuan H, Zhan H, Zhuang X, Yuan S, et al. Relevance between chemical structure and pyrolysis behavior of palm kernel shell lignin. Science of The Total Environment. 2018; 633: 785-795.
29. Asoka Panamgama L, Peramune PRUSK. Coconut coir pith lignin: A physicochemical and thermal characterization. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules. 2018; 113: 1149-1157.
30. Rosas JM, Ruiz-Rosas R, Rodríguez-Mirasol J, Cordero T. Kinetic study of SO2 removal over lignin-based activated carbon. Chemical Engineering Journal. 2017; 307: 707-721.
31. Gustafsson Å, Hale S, Cornelissen G, Sjöholm E, Gunnarsson JS. Activated carbon from kraft lignin: A sorbent for in situ remediation of contaminated sediments. Environmental Technology & Innovation. 2017; 7: 160-168.
32. Yu B, Chang Z, Wang C. The key pre-pyrolysis in lignin-based activated carbon preparation for high performance supercapacitors. Materials Chemistry and Physics. 2016; 181: 187-193.
33. Tsubouchi N, Nishio M, Mochizuki Y. Role of nitrogen in pore development in activated carbon prepared by potassium carbonate activation of lignin. Applied Surface Science. 2016; 371: 301-306.
34. Guo Y, Rockstraw DA. Physical and chemical properties of carbons synthesized from xylan, cellulose, and Kraft lignin by H3PO4 activation. Carbon. 2006; 44(8): 1464-1475.
35. Pisuttangkul S. Preparation of activated carbon from lignin by chemical activation for methylene blue adsorption [B.Eng.thesis]. Khon Kaen: Khon Kaen University; 2014. Thai.
36. Rodríguez Correa C, Stollovsky M, Hehr T, Rauscher Y, Rolli B, Kruse A. Influence of the Carbonization Process on Activated Carbon Properties from Lignin and Lignin-Rich Biomasses. ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering. 2017; 5(9): 8222-8233.