All articles submitted to be published in HASSS are processed in 6 steps as follows:
- Screening: The editor-in-chief, in consultation with other members of the editorial board, decides whether to accept the submitted manuscript for the reviewing process. The manuscript will be rejected at this stage if plagiarism is detected or the content does not reflect the journal’s aim and scope. The process lasts about 2 weeks.
- Peer review process: A manuscript that has passed the screening stage must be blindly reviewed at least by two reviewers affiliated to different institutions from each other and from the author(s). The reviewers are selected by the Editor-in-Chief with the help of some other members of the editorial board. This process may take about 4-6 weeks.
- Notification of the peer reviewing results: After receiving the results of the peer-reviewing, the author(s) will receive notification of the results together with any comments and suggestions made by the editor(s) and reviewers. There are four categories of results: Accept, Accept with Minor Revisions, Accept with Major Revisions, Reject. Only in the case of acceptance without condition will a manuscript be passed directly to the formatting and proof reading process. A manuscript which needs revision must pass the revision process before proceeding to step 5.
- Revision: After receiving the peer-review results and feedback from the journal, the author(s) of an article accepted on the condition of revision must revise the manuscript according to the attached comments and suggestions and send back the revised version with an explanation on the correction page. The author will be given 1 month to revise the manuscript. In the case of acceptance with major revisions, the revised article must be reviewed again by one or two reviewers upon the decision of the editorial team.
- Formatting and proof reading: A manuscript that has been revised will be formatted according to the journal’s requirements and proofread by the author(s) and the editorial team. One set of page proofs (as PDF files) will be sent by e-mail to the corresponding author who will be given 1 week to check the proofs and return any required corrections to the journal.
- Online posting: Completely edited articles are posted on the website of the journal. The ‘accepted date’ that appears in the published article will be the date when the fully revised version of the manuscript has been received.