Main Article Content
Objective: To compare human sperm motility, vitality and morphology after cryopreservation among sucrose, and different trehalose concentrations.
Material and Methods: A total number of 124 normozoospermic semen samples were collected. Each semen sample was divided into 4 portions, and cryopreserved in a human sperm-preserving medium along with cryoprotectants, including; 50 milimolar (mM) trehalose, 100 mM trehalose, 200 mM trehalose and 50 mM sucrose, respectively. All semen samples were frozen by using a vapor phase method. Post-thawed sperm motility, vitality and morphology were assessed. R program was used for data analysis. A p-value of <0.05 was considered statistically significant.
Results: Post-thawed semen evaluation indicated that 50 mM trehalose was better than 50 mM sucrose in all sperm parameters, which included progressive motility (p-value=0.037, total motility (p-value<0.001), vitality (p-value<0.001) and morphology (p-value<0.001). The sperm parameters were not significantly different among 100 mM trehalose, 200 mM trehalose and 50 mM sucrose.
Conclusion: The use of 50 mM trehalose, as non-permeating cryoprotectant, showed superior post-thaw sperm
parameters over sucrose, and other trehalose concentrations.
2. Stanic P, Tandara M, Sonicki Z, Simunic V, Radakovic B, Suchanek E. Comparison of protective media and freezing techniques for cryopreservation of human semen. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 2000;91:65-70.
3. Liu J, Tanrikut C, Wright DL, Lee GY, Toner M, Biggers JD, et al. Cryopreservation of human spermatozoa with minimal non-permeable cryoprotectant. Cryobiology 2016;73:162-7.
4. Shiva Shankar Reddy N, Jagan Mohonarao G, Atreja SK. Effects of adding taurine and trehalose to a tris-based egg yolk extender on buffalo (Bubalus bubalis) sperm quality following cryopreservation. Anim Reprod Sci 2010;119:183-90.
5. Malo C, Gil L, Gonzalez N, Cano R, de Blas I, Espinosa E. Comparing sugar type supplementation for cryopreservation of boar semen in egg yolk based extender. Cryobiology 2010;61:17-21.
6. Thompson KA, Richa J, Liebhaber SA, Storey BT. Dialysis addition of trehalose/glycerol cryoprotectant allows recovery of cryopreserved mouse spermatozoa with satisfactory fertilizing ability as assessed by yield of live young. J Androl 2001;22:339-44.
7. Aboagla EM, Terada T. Trehalose-enhanced fluidity of the goat sperm membrane and its protection during freezing. Biol Reprod 2003;69:1245-50.
8. Aisen EG, Medina VH, Venturino A. Cryopreservation and post-thawed fertility of ram semen frozen in different trehalose concentrations. Theriogenology 2002;57:1801-8.
9. World Health Organization. WHO laboratory manual for the examination and processing of human semen. 5th ed. Geneva: WHO; 2010.
10. Kruger TF, Acosta AA, Simmons KF, Swanson RJ, Matta JF, Oehninger S. Predictive value of abnormal sperm morphology in in vitro fertilization. Fertil Steril 1988;49:112-7.
11. Hammadeh ME, Greiner S, Rosenbaum P, Schmidt W. Comparison between human sperm preservation medium and TEST-yolk buffer on protecting chromatin and morphology integrity of human spermatozoa in fertile and subfertile men after freeze-thawing procedure. J Androl 2001;22:1012-8.
12. Schulz M, Risopatron J, Matus G, Pineda E, Rojas C, Isachenko V, et al. Trehalose sustains a higher post-thaw sperm motility than sucrose in vitrified human sperm. Andrologia 2017;49:1-3.
13. Ozkavukcu S, Erdemli E, Isik A, Oztuna D, Karahuseyinoglu S. Effects of cryopreservation on sperm parameters and ultrastructural morphology of human spermatozoa. J Assist Reprod Genet 2008;25:403-11.
14. Gao DY, Liu J, Liu C, McGann LE, Watson PF, Kleinhans FW, et al. Prevention of osmotic injury to human spermatozoa during addition and removal of glycerol. Hum Reprod 1995;10:1109-22.
15. Storey BT, Noiles EE, Thompson KA. Comparison of glycerol, other polyols, trehalose, and raffinose to provide a defined cryoprotectant medium for mouse sperm cryopreservation. Cryobiology 1998;37:46-58.
16. Albertorio F, Chapa VA, Chen X, Diaz AJ, Cremer PS. The a,a-(1->1) linkage of trehalose is key to anhydrobiotic preservation. J Am Chem Soc 2007;29:10567-74.
17. Anchordoguy TJ, Rudolph AS, Carpenter JF, Crowe JH. Modes of interaction of cryoprotectants with membrane phospholipids during freezing. Cryobiology 1987;24:324-31.
18. Crowe JH. Anhydrobiosis: an unsolved problem with applications in human welfare. Subcell Biochem 2015;71:263-80.
19. Bastiaan HS, Menkveld R, Oehninger S, Franken DR. Zona pellucida induced acrosome reaction, sperm morphology,
and sperm-zona binding assessments among subfertile men. J Assist Reprod Genet 2002;19:329-34.
20. Vogiatzi P, Chrelias C, Cahill DJ, Creatsa M, Vrachnis N, Iliodromiti Z, et al. Hemizona assay and sperm penetration assay in the prediction of IVF outcome: a systematic review. Biomed Res Int 2013;2013. doi: 10.1155/2013/945825.