Main Article Content
The objective of this research is to study forms and conditions for empowering female sex workers in Batong District. The qualitative method was used with in-depth interviews and observations. The study found that female sex workers succeed in their empowerment as they join in selection of their own client, determination of service fees, and the form of service deliveries. The conditions of their empowerment comprise of the economic development based on prostitution business as the key strategy, development of power resources in the forms of beauty creation, practice of foreign language speaking, improvement of service delivery skills, and the expansion of the discourses of feminism and normalization of the prostitution careers.
2. Fine Arts Department. (1980).First Thai Enacted Law, [in Thai],Bangkok: Kurusapa Printing.
3. Foucault, M. (1980). Power/Knowledge: Selected Interviews and other Writing 1972-1977. Edited by Collin Gordon. Translated by Gordon, Colin;
4. Foucault, M. (1984). History of Sexuality: An Introduction. Harmondsworth:Penguin Books.
5. Ganjanapan, A. (2012). Critical Thinking of Foucault: From Discourse of Subject to the Turning Point of the Self, [in Thai]. Chiang Mai: Chiang Mai University.
6. La Loubere, S. (1967). Du Royaume deSiam, Vol. 1, [in Thai]. translated by Sant T. Komonbut, Bangkok: Progress Publishing.
7. Oksala, J. (2008) How to Read Foucault, New York and London: W. W. Norton & Company.
8. Olsen, M. E. (1978). The Process of Social Organization. New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston.
9. Ritzer, G. (1988) Sociological Theory, New York: McGraw-Hill Publishing Company.
10. Samukkethum, S. (2011). Establishment of the Powerless, [in Thai], Bangkok: Machalongkun BSC. Publishing.
11. Thosakul, R. (2005). The Concept of Power, [in Thai] Bangkok: Office of National Research Council of Thailand.
12. Uthai Yantharo, Phramaha (1995) Buddhist Ways for Society, Social Philosophy and Politics of Buddhism, [in Thai], Bangkok: Thammasal Publishing.
13. Virakulthawan, S. (2003) Presentation of Selves of Bar Beer Girls, [in Thai], Chiang Mai: Foundation for Women, Bangkok.
14. Weber, M. (1978) Economy and Society, London: University of California.
15. Wanthana, S. (2008). Power, [in Thai], Political Science and Public Administration Department, Kasetsart University.
16. Yimlamai, S. (2007) Self and Identities and Female Sex Workers in Southern Boarder Cities, [in Thai], Ph.D. thesis in Thai Study, Mahasarakham University.