Main Article Content
This quasi-experimental research aimed to test the effect of empowerment on peritonitis prevention practices among forty patients with continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis (CAPD) in Sawangdaendin Crown Prince Hospital. The instruments used in the study included; program of empowerment on peritonitis prevention practice, questionnaire measuring peritonitis prevention practice and practical checklist. Data were analyzed using descriptive and t-test. The research results after participating the intervention found that; 1) the mean score of peritonitis prevention practice of experimental group was statistically significant higher than the control group (p < .05), 2) the mean score of peritonitis prevention practice of experimental group after received intervention was statistically significant higher than before received intervention (p < .05), and 3) the incidence rate of peritonitis in experimental group was lower than control group.
2. Chuasuwan & Praditpornsilpa, K. Thailand renal replacement therapy year, 2012, Bangkok: The Nephrology Society of Thailand. (in Thai)
3. Nobel, H., Meyer, J., Bridges, J., Johnson, B. and Kelly, D. Exploring symptoms in patients managed without dialysis: A qualitative research study. Journal of Renal Care 2010; 36 (1), 9-15.
4. Sharma, R. K., & Gupta, S. Renal replacement therapy in elderly CKD patients. Clinical queries: nephrology 2012; 1, 291-294.
5. Ghali JR, Bannister KM, Brown FG, Rosman JB, Wiggins KJ, Johnson DW, et al. Microbiology and outcomes of peritonitis in Australian peritoneal dialysis patients. Peritoneal Dialysis International 2011; 31: 651-62.
6. Indhumathi E, Jagadeswaran D, Varadarajan M, Abraham G, Soundararajan P. The risk factors and outcome of fungal peritonitis in continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis patients. Indian Journal of medical Microbiology 2009; 27:
7. Hsieh Y. P., Chang C.C., Wen Y.K, Chiu P. F., Yang Y. Predictors of Peritonitis and The Impact of Peritonitis on Clinical Outcomes of Continuous Ambulatory Peritoneal Dialysis in Taiwan – 10 Year Experience in Single Center. Peritoneal Dialysis International 2012; 34: 85–94.
8. Pongskul C, Sirivongs D, Keobounma T, Chunlertrith D, Promajuk P, Limwatananon C. Survival and technical failure in a large cohort of Thai CAPD patients. Journal of the Medical Association of Thailand 2006; 89(2):
98-105. (in Thai)
9. Dong J, Chen Y. Impact of the bag exchange procedure on risk of peritonitis. Peritoneal Dialysis International 2010; 30: 440-447.
10. Sawangdaendin Crown Prince Hospital. Annual report of the year 2017; Sakonnakhon, 2018. (in Thai)
11. Gibson C.H. The process of empowerment in mothers of chronically ill children. Journal of Advanced Nursing 1995; 21: 1201-10.
12. Kosintorn P., Unahalekhaka A., & Kasatpibal N. Effects of Empwerment on Infection Prevention Practices and Incidence of Infection among Patients with Continuous Ambulatory Peritoneal Dialysis. Nursing journal 2015; 42(special): 1-12. (in Thai)
13. Intaraphol A., & Limumnoilap S. self-care behaviors in patient with continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis. Journal of Nursing Science and Health 2013; 36 (3), 124-135. (in Thai)
14. Burns, N., & Grove, S.K. The practice of nursing research: conduct, critique, and utilization. (5th ed.). 2005. St. Louis: Elsevier/Saunders.
15. Sarinyawat A. & Limumnoilap S. The Effect of Empowerment on Self-Care Behaviors and Glycemic Control in Diabetes Type 2. Journal of nurse association of Thailand, north-eastern division, 27 (2), 41-46. (in Thai)
16. Moein M, Aghajani M, Mirbagher Ajorpaz N, Khorasanifar L. Effect of an Empowerment Program on Self-Efficacy of Patients With Type 2 Diabetes. Iran Red Crescent Med J. 2016; : 29252
17. Pongkerd R., Choowattanapakorn T. The Effect of Empowerment Program on Self-Care Behaviors in the Older Persons with Chronic Kidney Disease Receiving Continuous Ambulatory Peritoneal Dialysis. Kuakarun Journal of Nursing 2016; 23(2), 165-182. (in Thai)
18. Royani Z., Rayani, M.’ Behnampour, N., Arab, M., & Goleij, J. The effect of empowerment program on empowerment level and self-care self-efficacy of patients on hemodialysis treatment. Iran J Nur Midwifery Res 2013, 18 (1), 84-87. et al.