Main Article Content
This randomized control trial aimed to study the effectiveness preparatory information VDO on anxiety and protocol adherence among patients undergoing coronary angiogram. There were 36 patients, who were assigned equally into the experiment and the comparison groups. Findings demonstrated that anxiety score decreased significantly after viewing the VDO in the experimental group ( pre VDO viewing = 58.44 ± 6.92 vs post VDO viewing = 34.94 ± 4.45, p <0.001). On the contrary, in the comparison group there was no significant anxiety reduction (pre usual care = 58.22 ± 4.48 vs post usual care = 57.50 ± 4.79, p >0.05). The percentage of protocol adherence was 100% in the experimental comparing to 16.67% in the comparison groups. In conclusion, preparatory information VDO effectively reduces anxiety and promotes protocol adherence.
1. The heart association of Thailand under the Royal patronage of H.M. the king. Guideline for ischemic heart disease 2014. 2nded. Bankok: Sri Muang printing; 2014. (in Thai)
2. Kern M. J. editor. Introduction to the catheterization laboratory. 5thed. Philadelphia: Elsevier; 2011. 1-35.
3. Jamshidi N, Abbaszadeh A, Kalyani MN, Sharif F. Effectiveness of video
information on coronary angiography patients’ outcomes. Collegian 2013; 20(3):153–159.
4. Spielberger, C.D. (1966). Theory and research on anxiety. Anxiety and behavior,
5. Panik W. Physiological response to stress. [online] 2015[ cite 11
January 2018]. Avaliable from http://www.BIOLOGY.IPST.AC.TH/?P=2767
6. Ackley BJ, Ladwig GB. Nursing diagnosis handbook: An evidence-based guide to
planning care. 9thed. St. Louis MO: Mosby; 2011.
7. Clark, D.A., & Beck, A.T. Cognitive therapy of anxiety disorders: science and
practice. New York: Guilford Press; 2011. 1-58.
8. Edmond, J., Strange, J., & Baumbach, A. Introduction to cardiac catheterization
part 1: Diagnostic coronary angiography. British Journal of Cardiac Nursing 2008; 3(9): 398-406.
9. Merriweather N, Sulzbach-Hoke LM. Managing risk of complications at femoral
vascular access sites in percutaneous coronary intervention. Critical care nurse. 2012; 32(15): 16-29.
10. Tavakol, M., Ashraf, S., & Brener, S. J. Risks and Complications of Coronary
Angiography: A Comprehensive Review. Global Journal of Health Science 2012; 4(1): 65-93.
11. Ercan, S., Unal, A., Altunbas, G., Kaya, H., Davutoglu, V., Yuce, M., & Ozer, O.
Anxiety score as a risk factor for radial artery vasospasm during radial interventions a pilot study. Angiology 2014; 65(1): 67-70.
12. Guo et al., 2012; Guo, P., East, L., & Arthur, A. A preoperative education
intervention to reduce anxiety and improve recovery among Chinese cardiac patients: A randomized controlled trial. International Journal of Nursing Studies 2012; 49: 129-137.
13. Buzatto, L.L., & Zanei, S.S.V. Patients’ anxiety before cardiac catheterization. Ansiedadeempacientes no períodopré-cateterismocardíaco 2010; 8(4): 483–487.
14. McCaffrey R. Effective treatment prior to diagnosis cardiac
catheterization. Holistic nursing practice 2005; 12(9): 70-73.
15. Ruffinengo C, Versino E, Renga G. Effectiveness of an informative video on
reducing anxiety levels in patients undergoing elective coronary angiography. European Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing 2008; 8(1): 57–61.
16. Chair SY, Chau MY, Sit JWH, Wong EML, Chan AWK. The psychological effects
of a videotape educational intervention on cardiac catheterization patients.
Contemporary Nurse 2012; 40(2): 225–233.
17. Leventhal H, Johnson JE. Laboratory and field experimental development of a theory of self-regulation. In P.J. Wooldridge. (Ed.). Behavioral science & nursing theory. United States: St. Louis Mo: Mosby; 1983.
18. Yupin S. The effects of preparatory information on knowledge, anxiety, and self-care practice among patients underwent coronary artery bypass graft surgery [ Master Thesis in Adult Nursing, Faculty of Nursing, Khon Kaen University; 2011. (in Thai)
19. Moradi T, Adib-Hajbaghery M. The Effect of a Multi-Modal Preparation Package on Anxiety in Patients Undergoing Coronary Angiography. Int Cardiovasc
Res J 2015; 9(1): 10-16.
20. Uangfa S. The effect of preparatory information on anxiety and practices among surgical patients under general anesthesia, Mukdahan Hospital [ The degree of Master of Nursing Science in adult Nursing, Faculty of Nursing, Khon Kaen University; 2011. (in Thai)
21. Shahnaz A, Ahmad M. Educational Video Intervention Effects on Periprocedural
Anxiety Levels Among Cardiac Catheterization Patients: A Randomized Clinical Trial. Research and Theory for Nursing Practice 2016; 30(1): 70-84.
22. Philippe F, Meney M, Larrazet F, Ben Abderrazak F, Dibie A, Meziane T, Folliguet T,
Delahousse P, Lemoine JF, Laborde F. Effects of video information in patients undergoing coronary angiography. Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 2006; 99: 95–101.
23. Basar, C., Besli, F., Kecebas, M., Kayapinar, O., &Turker Y. The effect of audio-visual education prior to coronary angiography on the state
anxiety. Clin Case Rep Rev 2015; 1(8): 176-178.
24. Jetsada S. The effect of preparatory information on anxiety and compliance in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma undergoing trans arterial oily chemoembolization [ Independent study report for Master of Nursing Science program in adult Nursing, Faculty of Nursing, Khon Kaen University; 2011. (in Thai)