Main Article Content
This quasi-experimental research aimed to study the effects of a clinical nursing practice guideline for diabetic patients hospitalized with hyperglycemia on clinical outcomes. The sample consisted of 62 people at Inpatients Department. The research instruments were a clinical nursing practice guideline for diabetic patients hospitalized with hyperglycemia and documentation of nursing outcomes. Data were analyzed using descriptive statistics, Fisher’s exact test to analyze proportions and Mann-Whitney U test for means. The results show that: 1) Recurrent hyperglycemia and Length of stay in the experimental group was significantly lower than in the control group (p< 0.05) 2) Readmission with hyperglycemia in twenty-eight day of the experimental group was not found to be significantly different from that of control group. And 3) The satisfaction level on a nursing practice guideline for diabetic patients hospitalized with hyperglycemia of the nurse team were excellent.
hospitals in the United States. Endocr Pract. 2009; 17(6): 853-861.
2. Corsino L, Dhatariya K, Umpierrez G. Management of Diabetes and Hyperglycemia in
Hospitalized Patients.Endotext [Internet]. 2017 [cited 2017 Oct 1].Availablefrom: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK279093/#_NBK279093_pubdet_
3. Klinkner G. The Importance of Glycemic Control in the Hospital and the Role of the
Infusion Nurse. The Art and Science of Infusion Nursing. 2016; 39(2):87-91.
4. McDonnell ME, Umpierrez GE. Insulin Therapy for the Management of
Hyperglycemia in Hospitalized Patients. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am. 2012; 41(1):1-27.
5. Matheus AS, Tannus LR, Cobas RA, Palma CC, Neqrato CA, Gomes MB.Impact of
Diabetes on Cardiovascular Disease: An update. International Journal of
Hypertension 2013; 1-15.
6. Seaquist ER, Anderson J, Childs B, Cryer P, Dogogo-Jack SE, Fish L, et al.
Hypoglycemia and diabetes: a report of a workgroup of the American Diabetes Association and the Endocrine Society. Diabetes Care. 2013; 36: 1384-1395.
7. Strategy and Planning Division [Internet]. Bangkok:[cited 2016]. Available from:
https://bps.moph.go.th/new_bps/sites/default/files/health_strategy2559.pdf (in Thai)
8. Talley MH, Hill A, Steadman L, Hess MA. Changes in the treatment of inpatient
hyperglycemia: What every nurse practitioner should know about the 2012 Standards of Care. Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners. 2012; 24: 683-689.
9. Lansang MC, Umpierrez GE. Management of Inpatient Hyperglycemia in Noncritically
Ill Patients. Diabetes Spectrum. 2008; 21(4): 248-255.
10. Ram R. An Assessment on Quality of Care among Patients Diagnosed with Type 2
Diabetes and Hypertension Visiting Hospitals of Ministry of Public Health and Bangkok Metropolitan Administration in Thailand. Bangkok. National Health Security Office. 2012; 1-102. (in Thai)
11. Diabetes Association of Thailand. Clinical practice guideline for diabetes. 3rd
Bangkok: Romyen Media; 2017. (in Thai)
12. McAlister FA, Majumdar SR, Blitz S, Rowe BH, Romney J, Marrie TJ. The relation
between hyperglycemia and outcomes in 2,471 patients admitted to the hospital with community-acquired pneumonia. Diabetes Care. 2005; 28(4): 810-815.
13. American Diabetes Association. (2017).Standard of medical care in diabetes 2017.
Diabetes care 2017; 40 (11):120-127.
14. Namphong Hospital. Healthcare statistics report 2017. Statistic department.
Namphong: Khon Kaen; 2017. (in Thai)
15. Noord CV, Kos S, Wullkan RW, Alkemade M, Dekker K, Schelfhout LJ,et al.
Protocolised inpatient care of diabetes mellitus. The Journal of Medicine. 2012; 70(9): 406-410.
16. Donihi AC, Gibson JM, Noschese ML, DiNardo MM, K0erbel GL, Curll M, et al. Effect
of a targeted glycemic management program on provider response to inpatient hyperglycemia. Endocrine practice. 2011; 17(4): 552-557.
17. Schnipper JL, Ndumele CD, Liang CL, Pendergrass ML. Effect of a Subcutaneous
Insulin Protocol, Clinical Education, and Computerized Order Set on the Quality of Inpatient Management of Hyperglycemia: Results of a Clinical Trial. Journal of Hospital Medicine. 2009; 4(1): 16-27.
18. Munoz C, Villanueva G, Fogg L, Johnson T, Hannold K, Agruss, J, et al. Impact of a
subcutaneous insulin protocol in the emergency department: rush emergency department hyperglycemia intervention (REDHI). The journal of Emergency Medicine. 2011; 40(5): 493-498.
19. O’Brien S, Michaels S, Marsh J, Hardy K. The impact of inpatient diabetes care
pathway. Journal of Diabetes Nursing. 2004; 8(7): 253-256.
20. Kongthip P. The development of a clinical nursing practice guideline for hospitalized
older persons with hypoglycemia in Pathumrat Hospital.[dissertation]. KhonKaen: KhonKaen University; 2011.