Main Article Content
Health literacy is related to health promotion behaviors. This study aimed to determine the level of health literacy, health promotion behaviors and the association between both factors. The subjects included 290 student nurses of Chiang Mai University around February to April 2018. Data was collected by using structured questionnaires and utilized by Pearson's Correlation Coefficient. The study revealed that the subjects had a medium level in both of health literacy (80.3%) and health promotion behaviors (77.7%). Moreover, it shown that health literacy was significantly related to health promotion behaviors (r= 0.78, p< 0.001).
2. WHO. Health Literacy and Health Promotion. Definitions, Concepts and Examples in the Eastern Mediterranean Region 2019 [Internet]. [cited 2019 March 30]. Available from:https://www.dors.it/documentazione/testo/201409/02_2009_OMS%20Nairobi_Health%20Literacy.pdf
3.Health education division [Internet].[cited 2019 March 30].Strengthening and assessing health literacy and health promotion behaviors.Available from: http://www.hed.go.th/uploads/file/Health%20Listeracy/studywork.pdf. (in Thai)
4. Berkman, ND, Sheridan, SL, Donahue, KE, Halpern, DJ, Crotty, K. Low health literacy and health outcomes. Ann Intern Med 2011; 155(2). 97-107.
5.Sangduan, G, Nusara, P. The Relationship between Health Literacy and Health Behaviors among Older Adults who have Multi-morbidity. Nursing journal of the ministry of public health 2019; 25(3). 43-54. (in Thai)
6.Kitpapon, S. Health literacy and quality of life among elderly in the northeast, Thailand. journal of health systems 2017; 11(1). 26-36. (in Thai)
7. Pittaya, P. Health literacy and health behaviors 3E 2S of public sector executives, Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya province. Journal of preventive medicine association of Thailand 2019; 8(1). 97-108. (in Thai)
8. Machi, S, Takeshi, O, Masako, O, Masahiko, S, Ataru, I, Hirono, I, et al. Relationship between health literacy, health information access, health behavior, and health status in Japanese people. Journal of patient education and counseling 2015; 98(5). 660-668.
9. Muhammad, YN, Mehak, K, Amna, S, Asima, F. The relationship of health literacy, perceived health information need and preventive health related behavior in Urban Karachi. The journal of islamic international medical college 2015; 10(3). 210-213.
10. Konkanok, L, Chanpen, N. Health Literacy of Nursing Students at Boromarajonani College of Nursing Bangkok. Journal of Boromarajonani College of Nursing, Bangkok 2019; 35(1). 277-289. (in Thai)
11. Mullan, J, Burns, P, Weston, K, McLennan, P, Rich, W, Crowthe, S, et al. Health literacy amongst health professional university students: A study using the health literacy questionnaire. Educ Sci. 2017; 7(2) :55. doi:10.3390/educsci7020055.
12. Health systems research institute [Internet]. [cited 2019 March 30]. The survey of the Thai public health by the 5th physical examination. Available from: https://hsri.or.th/researcher/research/new-release/detail/7711. (in Thai)
13. Muntina ,C. Knowledge, attitude toward food consumption behavior, and nutritional status in Air Force student nurses. Journal of the police nurse 2014; 6(2).144-157.
14. Thanaporn, Y, Chanandchidadussadee, T, Yuwadee, L. Factors Predicting Exercise Behaviors among Nursing Students in Boromarajonani college of nursing,the north eastern region network. Journal of nursing and health care 2017; 35(2). 158-168. (in Thai)
15. Sirisap, S. Factors causing to stress of nursing students, Ubon Ratchathani University. HCU Journal of health science 2018; 21 (42). 93-106. (in Thai)
16. Thailand nursing and midwifery council. Competency of professional practitioners nursing and midwifery. Nonthaburee: Siriyod printing; 2010. (in Thai)
17. Krejcie, RV, Morgan, DW. Determining sample size for research activities.Educational and Psychological Measurement 1970. (30): 607-610.
18. Nutbeam, D. Health literacy as a public health goal: A challenge for contemporary health education and communication strategies into the 21st century. Health Promotion International 2000; 15(3). 259-267. doi: 10.1093/heapro/15.3.259.
19. Siwaporn, T, Panwadee, P, Pisamai, O. Health promoting behaviors of Ramathibodi nursing students. Rama Nurs J 2012; 18(2). 178-189. (in Thai)
20. Pender, NJ, Murdaugh, CL, Parsons, MA. Health promotion in nursing practice. 6th ed. Boston: Pearson; 2011.