Main Article Content
The objectives of this descriptive research were to examine level of depression and to study factors related to depression among older adults. The sample was 300 older adults in Don Sai, Potharam district, Ratchaburi province, selected from the simple random sampling technique by drawing lots. The research instruments included questionnaire to collect personal factors, economic factor, family functional factors and older adult’s depression inventory. The data were analyzed by the descriptive statistics and Chi-square test.
The results showed that the older adults were female (62.00%) aged between 60-69 years (43.33%). Most of them finished primary school (86.30%) and received monthly income of 500-1,000 Baht (44.3%). They lived with their spouse or their children (88.30%). According to the older adult’s depression inventory, it was found that 37.33% of them suffered from the depression. Female had more depression than male older adults. Most of them had the mild depression (70.54%) and tends to have sleep disorder in the past 2 weeks (57.99%). The factors related to the older adult’s depression included gender, status, ways of living, relationship in the family, and amount of incomes (p < .05).
The findings of this study revealed that elderly women should be encouraged good relationships to prevent depression. The factors related to with depression can be used for planning and as a guideline for solving mental problems among elderly appropriately.
2. Institute for Population and Social Research, Mahidol University. Thailandometers. [Internet]. 2018. [cited 2018 Dec 28]. Available from: http://www.thailandometers.mahidol.ac.th/index.php?#population
3. Bunloet A. Prevalence and factors associated with depression among the elderly community residents with chronic diseases in Samliam Urban primary care unit, Khon Kaen. Srinagarind Med J. 2016; 31(1): 25-33. Thai.
4. Buchtemann D, Luppa M, Bramesfeld A, Riedel-Heller S. Incidence of late-life depression: A systematic review. J Affect Disord. 2012; 142(1-3): 172-79.
5. Schultz SK. Depression in the older adult: The challenge of medical comorbidity. Am J Psychiatry. 2007; 164(6): 847-48.
6. Inchaiya C, Sangon S, Nintachan P. Factors predicting depression in older adults in community. JPNMH. 2016; 30(1): 17-33. Thai.
7. Fiske A, Wetherell JL, Gatz M. Depression in older adults. Annu Rev Clin Psychol. 2009; 5: 363-89. doi: 10.1146/annurev.clinpsy.032408.153621
8. Puttametta M. Soonthornchaiya R. Selected factors related to depression of the older persons with depressive disorder in the central region. JPNMH. 2016; 30(2): 69-82. Thai.
9. Barrero SAP. Suicide risk factors among the elderly. Ciencia & Saude Coletiva. 2012; 17(8): 2011-16.
10. Aylaz R, Akturk U, Erci B, Ozturk H, Aslan H. Relationship between depression and loneliness in elderly and examination of influential factors. Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2012; 55(3): 548-54. doi: 10.1016/j.archger.2012.03.006
11. Chunjam S, Sangon S, Thaweekoon T. A Survey of depression research in Thailand. Rama Nurs J. 2011; 17(3): 412-29. Thai.
12. Sangon S, Sampao P, Malathum P. Relationships of health status, family relations, and loneliness to depression in older adults. Rama Nurs J. 2007; 13(1):54-69. Thai.
13. Provincial Statistical Office, Ratchaburi Province. Elderly population in Ratchaburi province [internet]. 2016 [cited 2019 Jan 12]. Available from: http://ratburi.nso.go.th/nso-002/391-nso7015a.html
14. Daniel WW. Biostatistics: A foundation for analysis in the health sciences. New York: Wiley & Sons. 1995.
15. Arunpongpaisal S, Rungreangkulkij S. Revision of KKU-DI, Depression test for gender sensitivity. J Prychiatr Assoc Thailand. 2010; 55(2): 177-89. Thai.
16. Paungrod N. The study on depression in Nonthaburi province elderly. PNUHUSO. 2012; 2(1): 63-74. Thai.
17. World Health Organization. Gender and woman’s mental health. Geneva. 2002.
18. Beck AT, Alford BA. Depression: Causes and treatment. 2nd ed. Pennsylvania: University of Pennsylvania Press. 2009.
19. Sasithorn N, Lueboonthavatchai P. Depression and associated psychosocial factors of the elderly at the Elderly Associate of Public Health Center 48 Nakwatchara-utid. Chula Med J. 2015; (6): 717 – 30. Thai.
20. Yaiyong O, Lurboonthavatchai P. Depression and grief of the elderly at the Elderly Associate in Nonthaburi Province. J Psychiatr Assoc Thailand. 2011; 56(2): 117-28. Thai.