Main Article Content
Background: General support staff in the Faculty of Medicine Ramathibodi Hospital, Mahidol University are important factors that affect the success of the organization. To strive to be a leading international medical institution.
Objective: To study factors related to organizational commitment of general support staff in the Faculty of Medicine Ramathibodi Hospital, Mahidol University.
Methods: This study used a cross-sectional survey model. Data were analyzed by means of questionnaires from 258 general support staff. Descriptive statistics, t test, and Pearson product moment correlation were collected since July 1, 2016, to September 30, 2016.
Results: Of the 258 participants, 86.4% were female, 60.1% were 25 - 39 years old (Generation Y), 46.5% were married. Most of all had a lower education level than a bachelor and a bachelor degree. About 65.2% had less than 10 years of work, 84.9% received salary of 10,001 - 30,000 baht/month, and 79.8% were academic staff. The analysis of the organizational commitment of the general support staff was high. In each aspect, the factors related to organizational commitment were the feeling dependency, challenge of the task, opportunity to interact with others, organizational size and decentralization respectively.
Conclusions: Factors affecting the generation Y of general support staff, the Faculty of Medicine Ramathibodi Hospital, Mahidol University, are job characteristics, organizational characteristics, and job experiences. Management should focus on this population, which is a large group of the faculty, and bring the factors mentioned to adjust and develop to create a commitment to their staff. This group of people engaged and stay with the organization to create a shared vision and values.
2. Nguyen TD, Nguyen VT. Promoting organizational commitment and organizational citizenship behaviors in Vietnamese enterprises: the influence of corporate reputation. ICFE. 2017:365. https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Florin_Aliu/publication/320100746_Modeling_the_Fundamental_Value_of_a_Company_a_Case_Study_of_Electricity_Distribution_and_Supply_Company_keds/links/59ce008f458515cc6aa9de37/Modeling-the-Fundamental-Value-of-a-Company-a-Case-Study-of-Electricity-Distribution-and-Supply-Company-keds.pdf#page=379. Accessed May 31, 2018.
3. Chai DS, Hwang SJ, Joo BK. Transformational leadership and organizational commitment in teams: the mediating roles of shared vision and team-goal commitment. Performance Improvement Quarterly. 2017;30(2):137-158. doi:10.1002/piq.21244.
4. Lau PYY, Tong JLT, Lien BYH, Hsu YC, Chong CL. Ethical work climate, employee commitment and proactive customer service performance: test of the mediating effects of organizational politics. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services. 2017;35:20-26. doi:10.1016/j.jretconser.2016.11.004.
5. Peng J, Li D, Zhang Z, et al. How can core self-evaluations influence job burnout? The key roles of organizational commitment and job satisfaction. J Health Psychol. 2016;21(1):50-59. doi:10.1177/1359105314521478.
6. Tulayanisaka M. Factors Relating to Employees’ Organizational Commitment: a Case Study from Faculty of Science, Chulalongkorn University [master’s thesis]. Bangkok, Thailand: Silpakorn University; 2009.
7. Mahidol University. Report on the performance of the organization for excellence in 2014. Bangkok, Thailand: Faculty of Medicine Ramathibodi Hospital, Mahidol University; 2014.
8. Makhasiranon W. Building the learning organization. Bangkok, Thailand: Tana Press; 2007.
9. Nunnally JC, Bernstein IH. Psychometric theory. 3rd ed. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill; 1994.
10. Pansumnieng P. A Study of Quality of Work Life and Perception of Organizational Justice Affecting Organizational Citizenship Behavior Through Employees’ Engagement of Support Staff: a Case Study of Faculty of Medicine One of Bangkok [master’s thesis]. Bangkok, Thailand: Silpakorn University; 2012.
11. King NM. Generational Diversity: Organizational Commitment Between Generation X Employees and Generation Y Employees in the Hospitality Industry [dissertation]. Minnesota, USA: Capella University; 2018.
12. Wedchayanon N. Strategic human capital management. Bangkok, Thailand: Golden Time Printing; 2011.
13. Intharasongkroh J. The Organizational Commitment of Co-Pilot of Thai Airways International Public Company Limited [master’s thesis]. Bangkok, Thailand: Sukhothai Thammathirat Open University; 2013.
14. Ninlawan W. Organization Commitment of Teacher and Educational Personnel at Suratthani Vocational College in Surat Thani [master’s thesis]. Bangkok, Thailand: Rajamangala University of Technology Thanyaburi; 2011.