Main Article Content
Background: Patients undergoing hip and knee replacement possessed high risk for deep vein thrombosis (DVT), which might not had been diagnosed preoperatively, resulting in higher postoperative morbidity. However, no previous studies have been reported the incidence of preoperative DVT in this group of patients.
Objective: This study aimed to evaluate the incidence of preoperative DVT in these patients with high probability for DVT, and correlate their risk factors between those who had and had not preoperative DVT.
Methods: A prospective observational study in patients undergoing hip and knee replacement, within 6-month period, was conducted. Demographic data, Caprini score, and serum D-dimer level were collected. All patients with high probability (HP) for DVT, as D-dimer level > 500 mg/dL, were send for doppler ultrasonography (D-USG). Risk factors in patients with positive D-USG were then compared to those with negative D-USG.
Results: Of 120 patients, 25 patients (21%) were classified into HP group. The overall incidence of preoperative DVT in our study was 12% (n = 3). There was no significant difference in baseline characteristic data and Caprini score between patients with positive and negative D-USG (P > 0.05).
Conclusion: Preoperative DVT in patients undergoing hip and knee replacement with high probability for DVT was not uncommon, as 12%. We recommended preoperative screening with D-dimer test in all patients and using D-USG as routine screening in patients with high probability for DVT.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
2. McKenna R, Bachmann F, Kaushal SP, Galante JO. Thromboembolic disease in patients undergoing total knee replacement. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1976;58(7):928-932.
3. Stringer MD, Steadman CA, Hedges AR, Thomas EM, Morley TR, Kakkar VV. Deep vein thrombosis after elective knee surgery. An incidence study in 312 patients. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1989;71(3):492-497.
4. Lotke PA, Steinberg ME, Ecker ML. Significance of deep venous thrombosis in the lower extremity after total joint arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1994;(299):25-30.
5. Haake DA, Berkman SA. Venous thromboembolic disease after hip surgery. Risk factors, prophylaxis, and diagnosis. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1989;(242):212-231.
6. Stulberg BN, Insall JN, Williams GW, Ghelman B. Deep-vein thrombosis following total knee replacement. An analysis of six hundred and thirty-eight arthroplasties. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1984;66(2):194-201.
7. Park YG, Ha CW, Lee SS, Shaikh AA, Park YB. Incidence and Fate of "Symptomatic" Venous Thromboembolism After Knee Arthroplasty Without Pharmacologic Prophylaxis in an Asian Population. J Arthroplasty. 2016;31(5):1072-1077. doi:10.1016/j.arth.2015.11.028.
8. Park IH, Lee SC, Park IS, et al. Asymptomatic peripheral vascular disease in total knee arthroplasty: preoperative prevalence and risk factors. J Orthop Traumatol. 2015;16(1):23-26. doi:10.1007/s10195-014-0305-z.
9. Lotke PA, Ecker ML, Alavi A, Berkowitz H. Indications for the treatment of deep venous thrombosis following total knee replacement. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1984;66(2):202-208.
10. Mitani G, Takagaki T, Hamahashi K, et al. Associations between venous thromboembolism onset, D-dimer, and soluble fibrin monomer complex after total knee arthroplasty. J Orthop Surg Res. 2015;10:172. doi:10.1186/s13018-015-0315-4.
11. Wells PS, Anderson DR, Rodger M, et al. Evaluation of D-dimer in the diagnosis of suspected deep-vein thrombosis. N Engl J Med. 2003;349(13):1227-1235.
12. Chen CJ, Wang CJ, Huang CC. The value of D-dimer in the detection of early deep-vein thrombosis after total knee arthroplasty in Asian patients: a cohort study. Thromb J. 2008;6:5. doi:10.1186/1477-9560-6-5.
13. Gharaibeh L, Albsoul-Younes A, Younes N. Evaluation of VTE Prophylaxis in an Educational Hospital: Comparison Between the Institutional Guideline (Caprini 2006) and the ACCP Guideline (Ninth Edition). Clin Appl Thromb Hemost. 2016;22(7):627-632. doi:10.1177/1076029615575344.
14. Wells PS, Lensing AW, Davidson BL, Prins MH, Hirsh J. Accuracy of ultrasound for the diagnosis of deep venous thrombosis in asymptomatic patients after orthopedic surgery. A meta-analysis. Ann Intern Med. 1995;122(1):47-53.