Main Article Content
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is characterized by airflow limitation and effects to the lung function. COPD also has significant effects on the body system which called systemic effects for example; weight loss, nutritional abnormalities, cardiovascular effects, nervous system effects, and skeletal muscle dysfunction. The prevalence of anemia in COPD is increased and showed a similar to other chronic disease such as chronic heart failure, cancer, and renal failure. The anemic COPD is effect to decrease the exercise capacity and the quality of life. The mechanisms underlying the systemic effects and anemia in COPD are imprecise, but they are correlation with inactivity, systemic inflammation, tissue hypoxia and oxidative stress. Therefore, the clinical assessment and the treatment of COPD which focused on the procedure for decrease the systemic effect and anemia can be the effective approach for treating COPD patients.
2. Regional COPD work group. COPD prevalence in 12 Asia–Pacific countries and regions: Projections based on the COPD prevalence estimation model. Respirology 2003; 8: 192–8.
3. Maranetra KN, Chuaychoo B, Dejsomritrutai W, et.al. The prevalence and incidence of COPD among urban older persons of Bangkok Metropolis. J Med Assoc Thai. 2002; 85(11): 1147-55.
4. Singh S. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Cur Anaes & Cri Care 2003; 14: 74-80.
5. Wouters E, Creutzberg E. Systemic effects in COPD. Chest 2002; 121: 127-30.
6. Agusti AGN, Noguera A, Sauleda J, Sala E, Pons J, Busquets X. Systemic effects of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Eur Respir J 2003; 21: 347-60.
7. Barnes PJ, Chowdhury B, Kharitonov SA, et al. Pulmonary biomarkers in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2006; 174(1):6-14.
8. Casaburi R. Skeletal muscle function in COPD. Chest 2000; 117: 267S-71S
9. Karadag F, Karul AB, Cildag O, Altun C, Gurgey O. Determinants of BMI in patients with COPD. Respirology 2004; 9: 70-5.
10. Montes de Oca M, Torres SH, Gonzalez Y, et al. Peripheral muscle composition and health status in patients with COPD. Respir Med 2006; 100(10): 1800-6.
11. Sauleda J, Gea J, Orozco-Levi M. Structure and function relationships of the respiratory muscles. Eur Respir J 1998;11:906-11
12. Curkendall SM, DeLuise C, Jones JK, et al. Cardiovascular disease in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, Saskatchewan Canada cardiovascular disease in COPD patients. Ann Epidemiol 2006; 16: 63-70.
13. Huiart L, Ernst P, Suissa S. Cardiovascular morbidity and mortality in COPD. Chest 2005; 28: 2640-6.
14. Stewart AG, Waterhouse JC, Howard P. Cardiovascular autonomic nerve function in patients with hypoxaemic COPD. Eur Respir J 1991; 4: 1207-14.
15. Stein PK, Nelson P, Rottman JN, et al. Heart rate variability reflects severity of COPD in PiZ alpha1- antitrypsin deficiency. Chest 1998; 113: 327-33.
16. Yildiz P, Tükek T, Akkaya V, et al. Ventricular arrhythmias in patients With COPD are associated with QT dispersion. Chest 2002; 122: 2055-61.
17. Ionescu AA, Schoon E. Osteoporosis in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Eur Respir J 2003; 22: 64s–75s
18. Jorgensen NR, Schwarz P, Holme I, Henriksen BM, Petersen LJ, Backer V. The prevalence of osteoporosis in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease—A cross sectional study. Respir Med 2007; 101(1): 177-85.
19. John M, Lange A, Hoernig S, Witt C, Anker SD. Prevalence of anemia in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: Comparison to other chronic diseases. Inter J Cardio 2006; 111: 365-70
20. Gabrilove J. Anemia and the elderly: clinical considerations. Best Prac & Research Clin Haem 2005; 18: 417-22.
21. Penninx BW, Pahor M, Woodman RC, Guralnik JM. Anemia in old age is associated with increased mortality and hospitalization. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2006; 61(5): 474-9.
22. Issaragrisil S, Kaufman DW, Anderson T, et.al. The epidemiology of apastic anemia in Thailand. Blood 2006; 107: 1299-307.
23. World Health Organization. Nutritional anemia: report of a WHO Scientific Group. Geneva: Switzerland 1968.
24. Mayhew M. Anemia of chronic disease in the elderly. J Nurse Pract 2006: 261-7.
25. Erschler WB, Chen K, Reyee EB, Dubois R. Economic burden of patients with anemia in selected disease. Value Health 2005; 8(6): 629-38.
26. John M, Hoernig S, Doehner W, Okonko DD, Witt C, Anker SD. Anemia and Inflammation in COPD. Chest 2005; 127: 825-9.
27. Celli BR, Cote CG, Marin JM, et al. The body-mass index, airflow obstruction, dyspnea, and exercise capacity index in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. N Engl J Med 2004; 350: 1005-12.
28. Similowski T, Agusti A, MacNee W, Schonhofer B. The potential impact of anemia of chronic disease in COPD. Eur Respir J 2006; 27: 390-6.
29. Chambellan A, Challeux E, Similowski T. Prognostic value of the hematocrit in patients with severe COPD receiving long term oxygen therapy. Chest 2005; 128: 1201-8.
30. Kalra PR, Bolger AP, Francis DP, et al. Effect of anemia on exercise tolerance in chronic heart failure in men. Am J Cardio 2003; 91: 888-91.
31. Mancini DM, Katz SD, Lang CC, LaManca J, Hudaihed A, Androne AS. Effect of erythropoietin on exercise capacity in patients with moderate to severe chronic heart failure. Circulation 2003; 107: 294-9.
32. Tassiopoulos ST, Kontos A, Konstantopoulos K, et al. Erythropoietic response to hypoxiamia in diffuse idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, as pooosed to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Respir Med 2001; 95: 471-5.
33. Schonhofer B, Wenzel M, Geibel M, Kohler D. Blood transfusion and lung function in chronically anemic patients with severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Crit Care Med 1998; 26: 1824-38.
34. Scoppetta C, Grassi F. Erythropoietin: a new tool for muscle disorders? Med Hypotheses 2004; 63: 73-5.